Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grout flakes out of tile/granit joint

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 4, 08 at 15:23

We have black granite counter tops in the kitchen and white tile backsplash. The contractor put white grout under the first run of the tile where it meets the granite counter. I am assuming he did not put anything under or behind the granite counter against the wall and under the tile to hold the grout. Anyhow, that line of grout keeps flaking off at the lightest touch. I saw something on a tv remodel show where it looked like they mixed powdered grout with a silicone caulk for that joint. Is that the answer to my problem? If so, how do I do it and what products do I use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grout flakes out of tile/granit joint

"The contractor put white grout under the first run of the tile where it meets the granite counter."

No grout will stay in this joint.
It should be caulked, not grouted.

o

Is there a special kind of caulk for using on tile and granite?

o

Acrylic latex, 'Siliconized' acrylic, or silicone, just NOT butyl.

o

Thanks

o

Also, grout companies offer sanded caulks that match the grout color and texture for just this purpose.

o

I have existing granite countertops with backsplash of the the same granite. The joint was grouted when installed and the grout continually comes out and looks bad. Can I caulk over the old grout instead of regrouting or do I have to remove all of the old grout before doing anything.

o

"Can I caulk over the old grout instead of regrouting or do I have to remove all of the old grout before doing anything."

You need to remove at least enough of the old grout to get a decent bead of caulk into the joint.

Change in plane that involve different support structures should be caulked.
The supporting structures are very likely to move differently, and grout cannot absorb any relative movement without failing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here