Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonehouse24

Homeowner portland cement concrete mix

stonehouse24
15 years ago

I have a home repair project where i need to mix up 5 or 6 wheelbarrows of portland cement concrete. The total quantity is probably around 1000 pounds, much too small for a ready mix concrete truck delivery. I'm having trouble locating the graded washed stone component to the mix. I have a source for the concrete sand, but I can't find the stone in the small quantity that I need. A neighbor recommended that I use a stone product called "crusher run". This is a crushed limestone product from a nearby stone quarry that is a mixture of large and small crushed aggregate and stone dust. The product is screened and the top size of the crushed stone is about 1 1/4 inch. The neighbor told me to just add my portland cement to this product in a blend of three shovelfuls of stone product to 1 shovelful of cement and I will be all set. Will this blended crushed limestone product yield a suitable home repair concrete mix? In looking at it, the aggregate blend looks good, but there appears to be a substantial amount of fines and dust. If this product will work, is the suggested 3/1 stone/cement blend ok?

Comments (7)