Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaking Chimney Flue

Posted by johnboy70_99 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 14:39

My house was built in 1999, I bought it 3 years ago.

The upstairs furnace vents through the roof, and there are two problems.

1) When they built the house, they did not line up the flashing with the opening they cut so water was coming in around the outside of the flashing. I flashed a little more around it when I bought the house and it seemed to have stopped the problem. I was figuring that when I get the roof redone in 5-10 years I would have it fixed for good.

2) Now it has started to leak around the outside of the pipe, between the flashing and the pipe. I need to have it fixed by a professional.

Who do I call to fix (2) - a roofer or the guy that works on my furnace? Are the problems related and should I just have the whole thing replaced now to permanently fix (1)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaking Chimney Flue

We've had a lot of roofing and furnace fixing this past year, including flashing, hole cuts for external blower, and slate replacement.

My two cents, I'd call a reputable roofer for what you describe as they will be able to pull of the section and really work on a more permanent fix. Wild that the hole size is not lined up. Might want to get 2 to 3 estimates so you can check them out, get references as well as balanced regional quotes. The HVAC person might need to add a SS liner to snug the chimney and decrease water condensation from furnace byproduct. Might want to check that too. Nows a good time before the snow/rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here