Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove a kitchen drawer??

Posted by onthego (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 14:33

I have a 'stuck' kitchen drawer....there is a knife (in the wrong place) in a 2-tiered wood knife holder and is stopping the drawer opening, except for 1" at front..not enough to get a hand in. The knife is located about 4-5" in from the front. Even if I had a tool that could reach it, there is no room for maneuvering it out of the slot. No access from back or sides either. I'm thinking the only thing to do is remove the hardware that it 'slides' on...but looking at it, can't even see where it screws together, so it could be that the drawer must be out in order to get to the screws for the sliding mechanism. The cabinet shop I bought these Kitchencraft cabinets (frameless) is closed Sundays, but guess I'll start there to see if they can give me any advice. The Kitchencraft website is no help. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion on how to get myself out of this dilemma without having to destroy a beautiful drawer! BTW, the front of the drawer can't be taken off either as it unbolts from the inside which is inaccessible now but wouldn't provide enough space to get hand in I don't believe. Hope to get some replies....thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove a kitchen drawer??

Use a coat hanger or other stiff wire. Bend in a slow curve. On one end, bend a 90 deg angle about 2 in. long. Insert the 90 into the drawer. Feel the obstruction. Partially close the drawer to remove the pressure. Pull the wire toward you until you feel the obs. and try to open the drawer. Adjust bends as necessary and repeat. repeat. repeat. Good luck. Dave

o
RE: How to remove a kitchen drawer??

Dave..thank you so much for responding to my plead for help!! Your idea is right on....after lots of tries it worked! Don't want to go through all this again, so will be moving my knives or buying one of those countertop holders! Again...thanks for helping out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here