Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning green stains from asphalt roof shingles?

Posted by littleriverbb (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 14:20

Is there a "right way" to clean green stains from asphalt roofing shingles on the north side of my house? I am assuming that the stains are some sort of mildew, not moss, since they appear to be just a flat stain (not fuzzy like moss). The stains are on a porch roof and are visible from the second floor windows, so I'd like to remove them. My first thought is to use some sort of bleach solution, then rinse it off, but I wasn't sure if it would be harmful to the shingles. Is there some other better/preferred method? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning green stains from asphalt roof shingles?

It could also be algae. you should take a either a sample or a picture to your local garden center. They carry products that will take care of whatever issue you have.
You can usually apply these with a hose end sprayer so you don't have to climb on the roof. If this isn't an issue with your house, you can stand on the roof and spray the shinges that way.
Home Depot used to carry a product that was used for algae, but I would check to see if they still do.
Ron

o
RE: Cleaning green stains from asphalt roof shingles?

Ron - Thanks for your thoughts. I did some searching on Google and decided it probably was algae. The suggestion I found online was to use an "oxygen bleach", so I mixed up some of the oxy-clean I had in my laundry room. It took a couple of applications, and scrubbing with a moderately stiff brush, but it looks good now. There was also a suggestion to install a copper strip to help keep new moss or algae from growing, but I haven't decided if I will do this... or just wait and see how long the cleaning lasts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here