Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'washout base' from concrete plant - safe to use?

Posted by nccmama (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 14:08

We have an area on the side of the house that is difficult to mow and maintain that we covered in road base 10 years ago. It held up well, but we need to top it off with some more material. My husband went to the same place to try to buy another load of the road base, but they no longer sell it. The guys there advised him to just go down the street to a big construction site and ask them for a load of "wash out base". He did, and they happily loaded him up free of charge. It's my understanding that this material might be the stuff that gets washed out from the inside of cement trucks at the end of the day. Is this correct? And, if so, is there any danger in using this stuff in a residential setting? The latest load that he brought home has a lot of sand mixed in. In my opinion, it will not do the intended job of keeping out weeds, since the combination of sand and gravel-like pieces will not compact into a solid mat. However, my bigger worry is whether or not is is safe to use around kids and pets.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here