Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonw9_gw

Replacing Door Jamb

jonw9
10 years ago

We just took possession of a new (to us) home.
One of the first things I began doing was replacing the main door hardware, and deadbolt.

This was to rekey, update the look for my wife, and attempt to make the door operate easier.

As I disassembled the existing system, I discovered that the reason why the door was difficult to latch was that the existing hardware had been cobbled into place, most likely last time they changed the locks.

So, the area where the plates attach are pretty beat up, and cracking. I tried one of those 'universal' attachments which is a metal 'L' screwed over the area, but I don't like the way it functions, as the catch openings are too sloppy.

If I want to replace the jamb and start over, should I remove the whole strike side, or cut out a section to replace?

I see both methods online (usually after the door was kicked in) but not sure which would be easiest to match.

I don't know if the putty and redrill method would work, due to the extent of the cracking and suck, but perhaps that should be the first attempt prior to full replacement?

Comments (2)