Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtgriz_gw

Craftsman garage door opener

mtgriz
16 years ago

I have a Craftsman garage door opener, model # 139.53674SRT2. Even with new batteries the remotes no longer work. The door control & the keyless entry work just fine. I tried the troubleshooting tip in the instruction booklet (pushing the learn button on opener panel) but to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (28)

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

Did you try reprogramming the remotes or just push the learn button? Odd for both remotes to quit. Did they quit at the same time?

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

An afterthought. Make sure the lock has not been turned on at the wall control. If the light in the wall control is blinking press and hold the lock button for 6 seconds. This will turn off the lock function.

• mtgriz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Don, I appreciate your response. The two remotes did not go out at the same time. Ones been dead for probably a year or so & the other one went out last week. I tried to reprogram the remote by following the instructions on opener. I held the remote button while I pushed & released the learn button. My wall control only has one button. The green light has not been blinking - just a staedy light. Thanks.

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

The fact that your keypad works proves your logic board is o.k. I think you have just had bad luck with your remotes. I would purchase a new one. Just make sure it is the same as your old ones so there is no problem there.

• mtgriz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Don. I'll give that a try.

• kes3
    16 years ago

I have a Craftsman GDO Part# 41A3625 I lost both of the original remotes and I bought two of the generic universal ones from Lowes. When I program them they seem to work fine. An hour or so after the remotes no longer worked. Could it have anything to do with heat because it was about 98 to 100 degrees when I was doing this? Also my door started magically opening in the middle of the night. Any suggestions. Thanks

• mtgriz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don,
    The local Sears store has been out of my remote for a couple of weeks but got some in today. I went & picked one up & my garage door opener is working like a charm. Just wanted to say thanks for the tip. $40 for a new remote is a lot cheaper than a new opener (and a lot less hassle) Thanks.

• mudman
    16 years ago

Hey, Don. Hope you are still around. You seem to know what you are talking about.

I just purchased a home that has a Craftsman GDO. During our last inspection of the house prior to purchase, there were two GDO remotes on the counter. After closing, the remotes were gone.

The opener was manufactured 10/00 and is model # 139.53975SRT1.

Went to Home Depot the other night and purchased a Chamberlain universal system (a wall unit that plugs into a wall outlet and rewired through the attic to the GDO) with two remotes. After wiring it, and after hitting the "smart button," I could only get my GD to move an inch before returning to the starting position and stopping. Gave up on that system after reading some old posts on this website.

Went to Sears today and the salesman ran my model number through his computer and said that it has a new model number or something like that. He then grabbed a couple of remotes from the shelf and told me that reprogramming would be a breeze.

Well, I got absolutely no response from my GDO.

Any suggestions? Please help.

• lskluzak
    16 years ago

I am having a problem with my Craftman garage door opener Model 41A4315-7D. We were trying to change the password and somehow we disabled both the garage door openers and the keypad isn't changed. How do I find directions to changing the password and enabling my remote?

Thanks

Lynda Skluzak

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

On the back of your motor unit near where all those white wires go you will find the smart/learn button. I think you have already found it but--- Press and immediately release it and then key in any 4 digit code you want and press enter.

The instructions for the remotes are: Press and hold the button on the remote and then press and immediately release the smart/learn button. Do this for each remote.

Follow these instructions and you should be set. The key in both cases is to immediately release the smart/learn button. If you hold it in you will erase the memory and get no where. Wouldn't hurt to keep a copy.

• ha2jz
    16 years ago

Everytime I open the garage door it stops about one foot high from the floor, I have to repeat about 4 times to get the door opened in full, the censors are ok, what should I do ? Any advice will be very helpful.

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

On the rear of your opener near where all those white wires go you will find the 'up force' control. Turn this control about 1/4 turn. You also need to take the cover off and check the condition of the drive gear. It is a white nylon gear just in front of the motor.

• phu0ng
    16 years ago

Thanks Don. I had the same problem and now problem is solved.

• dangardner
    16 years ago

I have a Craftsman 1/2HP 139.18850 (Nov.1995) that has been working flawlessly for 12 years now. Just today it stopped. When pressing the wall button or outside keypad the motor (41A4315-7C) hums twice and does nothing. The green light up on the motor blinks 5 times, stops, blinks 5 times and so on.
    I've opened it up the motor housing to find a mess of white plastic dust. The door moves easily up and down manually. If the gear was stripped would I not still see it attempt to turn? With the cover off I see no movement at all, just hear the motor hum and that's it. Any help is much appreciated.

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

The white plastic dust you are seeing is the drive gear being slowly eaten away. It could be jammed causing the motor to just hum. The LED is blinking the code for "RPM sensor or motor overload" which makes sense.

• dangardner
    16 years ago

Thanks Don - I'm glad I found this forum since I have no manual or GDO experience...
    Any way to 'unjam' the gear or should I just look into replacement as per a bunch of other posts?

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

You will need to replace that gear. The part number is 41A2817 and is available from Sears with a complete set of instructions.

• markthrondson_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Hi Don,

I have the exact same issue and model # as the earlier post I've copied below, and didn't see a response. Our old remote units were simply wearing out, so we thought we'd get "sophisticated" and go with one of the learning remotes. The learning feature works fine with the remote and the GDO, but we started seeing the GDO magically opening up quite frequently, either on its own or because it's now got a code that matches a neighbors unit. We have tried over 10 different code combinations and have seen exactly the same issue.

Is there any way to reset the GDO back to it's original code, and determine what that setting was? There are no switches accessible on the exterior of the unit, and we actually switched the old Craftman remotes to the new code that we set the smart remote to in order to make use of them.

Thx in advance.

* Posted by kes3 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 20:16

I have a Craftsman GDO Part# 41A3625 I lost both of the original remotes and I bought two of the generic universal ones from Lowes. When I program them they seem to work fine. An hour or so after the remotes no longer worked. Could it have anything to do with heat because it was about 98 to 100 degrees when I was doing this? Also my door started magically opening in the middle of the night. Any suggestions. Thanks

• mister_mt
    16 years ago

Never mind - found the owner's manual on sears.com after I found the sears model #. It was easy to solve once I had the manual.

FYI, for anyone else - set the older remotes to whatever code you want (switch 1 should be neutral, other 8 can be any combo), then push the SR (smart remote) button on the GDO and release. Push the button on the remote you want to use, and it should open the door. It's now set to that code.

• jczarske
    16 years ago

Hi Don,

I just bought a house with a Craftsman 3/4hp GDO and there is no manual for the unit from the previous owner and I'm having issues with the remotes, the keypad and the wall unit. Here's a summary of the issues:

When I press the wall unit: the garage will move a few inches, retract and the lights will blink 11 times. If I hold the wall unit button down, the garage will go down as long as I hold the button down, then retract. If I hold the button down until the door gets to the floor, it will then stay shut, but only if I hold it until is closes completely.

When I press the remote button: the lights blink 11 times, no action from the door.

As for the keypad: I followed your instructions above re: changing the code, and I can't tell if it works. Once I submit my 4 digit code am I supposed to press # or * or 'enter'? Nothing is working. As well, I have followed your instructions above for changing the code and resetting the remotes, to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

• don_1_2006
    16 years ago

The main problem you are having is with the sensors in the doorway. Make sure these are pointed at one another. If they are pointed correctly each should have a small light that is lit. If the light doesn't come on you have either a bad sensor or bad wiring to the sensors.

After pressing the smart/learn button and entering your 4 digit code you should press enter on the keypad.

• timn_2009
    15 years ago

I have a 41A3625 1/3 HP 20+ yrs old that stopped working today. Door was open and motor just hummed. Manually closed door. Trolley just sits there and motor hums, then stops, then hums what sounds like reverse then stops. Any suggestions?

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

See if the trolley is jammed against the bolt just in front of the motor unit. If so, remove the bolt and run the door until it is down and then locate and adjust the 'up limit' control. It is on the side of the motor unit and you need to turn it 2 or 3 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover.

• timn_2009
    15 years ago

Can't find any bolt. tried turning the up limit control with no result. have the door down manually already. other options?

• Renaboop_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

We recently rented a condo and only has one garage door opener.. We purchased a universal remote frm home depot programmed it fine and then ended up with other peoples garage door openers being able to work ours..how do we rest the system..we have tried pressing the rest button a Number of times..please help..

• sdello
    13 years ago

Rena:
    You need to post the make and model number of the opener (it should be on the unit itself). Also you should post the brand and model of the universal remote you purchased.

• Sandra Cook
    8 years ago

I have a Craftsman Model 41A4315-7D GD opener. Has been working fine but recently will open without problem but when it goes to close, will act like the sensors are blocked. It will start going down then go back up but if you hold the wall control down, it closes. Sensors are both showing green but the light on the ceiling blinks like the safety beam was broken. Is this a sensor issue and where would I get replacement sensors. The machine shows 8/96 and what Sears sells says after 1997. and the wires that come with those sensors don't look long enough to go from the garage door to the unit on the ceiling. Thanks in advance.

• sdello
    8 years ago

Sandra:

The symptoms you describe are consistent with the unit detecting a block of the sensors. This is not consistent with both sensor lights being illuminated as, when the beam is broken then the LED on the receiver should go out (the "sender" will always be lit when powered).

A quick test would be to put an obstruction between the two sensors...one of the lights should go out. If it doesn't then I suspect the issue is with your logic board and not with the sensors.

Also, closely trace the sensor lead wires to see if there are any shorts, or bare wires.

FYI the lead wires on the replacement sensors are not long enough to replace the run for the unit to the sensor position. The replacements come with a connector to make a splice near the sensor and assume that your existing wires can be retained.