Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
destroying concrete slab?

Posted by nicole93089 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 12:02

Hi. After my HVAC people leave today, I will be left with a 4 x 2 concrete slab where my old AC condenser once stood. How do I get rid of that, short of renting a jack hammer? Can I give my teenage son a sledge hammer and tell him to go to town? How deep does it go? and is there usually wire or rebar (sp?) involved?

thanks! we're not very handy, so the easier the better! of course the easiest solution would be to buy a couple really big flower pots. . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: destroying concrete slab?

usually they are only 2-3 inches thick and NOT reinforced. a sledge hammer will work, but wear safety glasses as concrete shards will go every where. eve if it is 6 inch thick you can do it, just a little more work!

one thing though, is this pad part of the house foundation? i have 2 central units, 1 of which the pad was poured at the same time as and as part of the slab!

o

We were in the same position as you. We hired a concrete company to use an electric saw and cut the lines for the part that needed to be taken away - about 18 sq. ft split between both sides of the condenser. Our pad was an extension of the slab under our family room so we had to be careful. Once the cuts were made, and they started sledge hammering and jack hammering it out, we found that ours was 6" thick. Under it was the normal crushed gravel that one finds under concrete. The crushed gravel also had to go so that we could add good soil and plant grass. We did this 2 1/2 yrs ago and the cost was $600.

o

Concrete blade for circular saw: 75$
Electric Jack Hammer rental: 65 $
Cost in Gas to take concrete to the dumps :10$
Cost of medical treatment for herniated disk: $20000

Just kidding. Rent the Jack ,and landfills often take concrete for free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here