Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adjusting Spring Loaded Hinges

Posted by billy3p (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 11:49

I have a garage entry door with spring loaded hinges that currently closes too hard. The door has three hinges with the top and bottom being spring loaded. What is the correct way to reduce the tension so the door does not slam shut?

Thanks,

billy3p

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adjusting Spring Loaded Hinges

These type of hinges are installed as a requirement to meet the fire separation requirements Another method is to install a closing device, similar to those found on screen doors, just a little heavier duty,

If the hinge has a collar with holes and a stop pin, with the door closed, you insert a nail set or other device into a vacant hole and rotate the collar, remove and replace the pin into another hole, unloading the spring tension.
Do this on one hinge at a time.

o

Here is a picture of the hinge I need to adjust. I think I will have to remove the pin seen on the side first and then turn the barell using a allen wrench until I can reinsert the pin into the next hole to release the tension. If correct, which way do I turn the barrel to release the tension. The adjustment set where the allen wrench will go is located on the bottom of both hinges I need to adjust

thanks again

o

DO NOT pull the pin first.
Insert the allen so that the long leg of the allen is as near to the door, without touching the door, as it will naturally fit.With allen inserted, push it toward the door, remove the pin, insert the pin into the next hole in the direction of the door and slowly rotate the allen away from the door until the pin again engages. Remove the allen and try the door. If it still need adjusting, adjust the other hinge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here