Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you need roof vents on new roof???

Posted by twingle (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 11:22

We are in process of rippig old roof off and totally redoing our roof. Contractor told me I don't need any roof vents because the roof will have ridge vents??? Is that right? Or should I insist that they put in roof vents with a thermostat? I live in suburb of NYC. Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you need roof vents on new roof???

Ridge vents in combination with soffit vents are the most effective passive system available. Power vents can move more air but consume energy. It's your call

o

Have the contractor show you he is installing/making sure the soffit vents that are necessary for a ridge vent to operate properly are being done.

Then relax, knowing the new system will be the best possible solution.

o

Either ridge/soffit vent combo, or powered roof vent -- not both. Also, if your house/attic space is small (like in an older house) the available sizes of power vents might be too much -- sucking conditioned air from your living space (I was told this by the manufacturer of the power vent)

o

raee and others

I don't agree..
why??
in 18yrs our power roof vent fan...runs just about all the time from
mid april to mid october.. yes just passed sunup to after sun down..daily

we have ridge vents and soffit vents(100%)..all installed when the house was built..
the powered vent fan was at my request from the builder..its set at 115F..
so soffit/ridge vents don't work as claimed..the build thought it was a dumb idea!
please provide at least one research document from a non ridge vent maker
to backup your claim..fyi I have looked into this matter and have found none!
soffit vents don't help! ridge vents don't either! more insulation in the attic helped more!

think i'm joking..
we installed reflextex($500) insulation on the roof rafters to help the ridge vents..
yet the fan still runs..even when it 75 outside..no I haven't change its temp setting to 15yrs..

so..back your claim with facts..i'd like to see them..prove me wrong..

-dkenny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here