Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipster_2007

What Type of Pedestal to Use for a Top Loading Washer/Dryer?

chipster_2007
12 years ago

I am placing a top loading washer and dryer in my basement and wish to have it elevated to avoid any possible damage with potential water issues. What would be the best/easiest way to do that? I understand they have pedestals for front loading machines, but not top loading. Is this correct? I have thought of making a cement base or building a sturdy wood frame. I have also considered getting some cement cinder blocks and just putting a sheet of plywood over them but I don't know if the motion of the washer/dryer over time would somehow cause some serious shifting of the machines that would lead to injury. Are there any other possibilities I should consider? Would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

Comments (4)

• _sophiewheeler
    12 years ago

Unless you are making a complete raised floor on sleepers for the entire laundry room, I think you are merely making problems for yourself. It's already difficult enough for most people to bend down into the washer to remove items, and raising it up higher than the surrounding room will make it doubly difficult.

Are your concerns about general basement flooding or the washer itself flooding? Either of those two scenarios have other better solutions than building a platform for the washer.

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The washer machine and dryer are near the water heaters and the possibility always exists that they could leak at sometime. I want to be prepared. Any additional thoughts?

• User
    12 years ago

Water heaters seldom have large leaks, the large leaks come from burst washer hoses.

The other bad water problems come from flooding.

My point? Putting a top loading washer on a pedestal to avoid those scenarios is basically useless. You would need to use concrete and make an area large enough to stand safely on. That means several yards of concrete, which could add enough weight to one area of the basement to possibly cause settling problems.

Building a wooden riser is less weight and cost, but will possibly cause more vibration noise.

If there is a drain in the basement, none of that should be necessary. No drain, the possibility of high water deep enough to rise above the platform due to burst hose of flood would only take a matter of hours. If you really have a fear of water damage, spend the money on a sump pit and pump system with a battery back up.

• _sophiewheeler
    12 years ago

Just buy auto shut off supply hoses. They detect any water leak and automatically shut off. They're about $30. Then buy a water sensor alarm. They're about $20 and they will emit a high pitched shriek as a backup to the auto shut off hoses. Belt and suspenders. All for around $50. (Plus do what handymac suggests about a floor drain All basements should have a floor drain.)