Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roof replacement

Posted by tony098 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 10:27

Hi,

I am pretty clueless when come to house related repair. My roof's shingles are peeling. I got a quote to replace it. What do you think?

- Size: 2400 sqft
- Install new white drip edge. Apply ice and water shield to the bottom 6 ft, valleys, and around vents. Apply tar paper to remaining roof surface. Install Landmark architectural shingles. Install new metal attic, exhaust and sewer vents. Add 3 attic vents. Total is $7000
- Optional: switch to ridge ventilation, $400
- Rotten or buckled plywood is $45 per sheet to replace.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roof replacement

To me, if that is the total proposal, it lacks a lot of information.

One assumes it is a tear off down to the deck, but never assume anything. I've seen people tear off one layer, install ice/water & felt over a layer of material not torn off!

Unless someone is in your locality, only they would know a guesstimate. This is the world wide web.

If torn down to deck, the decking should be broom swept, then blown off with a blower, so no granules/debris are left on the decking. All roof fasteners used on previous should be set (I personally always like to see the fasteners pulled).

There is no spec for the fasteners to be used (staples are a no no)or length of fastener. Drip edge comes in different sizes. There's no mention on brand for ice/water. There's no mention for daily clean-up. There's no mention the roof being secured from elements each & every day. There are numerous types of soil collars, which one used should be mentioned. Different styles of vents are on the market, also there are screened & unscreened (you don't want unscreened). No mention of brand & style of ridge vent if you decide to change it up (chances are, no additional regular style vents would be put in, and any existing should be closed off & patched over. Ridge vents need an intake (soffit vents). There's no mention of any step or counter flashing for any chimney or junctures. It should list how these areas are addressed and with type of material, and installation method. Ask the roofer if they have a _brake_, if the answer is no, they are not in the roofing business, nor know how to address flashing issues.The list goes on & on.

It appears the quote knows how to mention prices, but doesn't list exactly what is being done and with what materials. If one is too lazy to take the time to detail a quote, I really don't think they will get ambition to detail the actual work.

I'd get some detailed quotes.

This post was edited by Roof35 on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 20:34

o

I would get more quotes... At least three. And let the companies know you are getting more than theirs, it will keep them honest.

o

Why don’t you use online remodeling portals? There you would find expertise contractors, reviews and ratings. Simply post your job or register your profile @ hirecontractor dot com and reach more contractors for customized solutions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roofing contractors

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here