Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jseeley_gw

Raccoon insulation damage in my condo's attic.

jseeley
12 years ago

I own a garden condo where I heard raccoons in the attic above my unit. Actually it's a 2x4 (24" apart) truss system and the fiberglass insulation is laying on the ceiling. So it's hard to move without putting your foot through the ceiling.

I called the Management Company several times to: 1)get rid of the pests, 2)close the soffit hole, and 3)replace the damaged insulation. They have since trapped the raccoons, and closed the soffit hole, but.. that's where they stopped.

They never did acknowledge that work was needed to replace insulation. Now, before I call them AGAIN, I would like to ask for some guidance on the subject.

The insulation is nasty. Looks like the raccoons have been up there for years and I only heard them twice. The insulation is brown because they carried in dirt and mud. There is insulation that is matted down, misplaced and thrown around where there is bare sheet rock. I don't know if there is raccoon feces/urine or chewed wires up there because I'm hesitant to walk around up there.

Where to I start? Do I just all-out demand that the management company send their guy to fix this now or else! I know from past experiences they gave me and others a difficult time about performing jobs in which they were liable. And if the management company is pressured to do this job, I know for a fact that their work is terrible, wrong and incomplete and it will have to be done over again. (I get outraged by his work. Nobody cares anymore)

As a result, I have called the code enforcement dept in my town (in NJ) to see if it would be possible to inspect their work performed but they were unwilling to help.

I also called the Health Commission to see if they can come out to inspect the attic for feces, etc but they did not help either.

What to do? I want the job done right and it shouldn't have to be on my expense.

If the management company is pressured to do the job, how much insulation should they replace? Should they replace the muddy/dirty insulation in addition to the matted and scattered insulation? What thickness or R rating required to use? Should they vacuum the area after taking out damaged and before placing new insulation? At this time, I am not sure if there is feces up there.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

John

I know we should change management companies :) but that is in the distant future.

Comments (7)

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

What to do? I want the job done right and it shouldn't have to be on my expense.

do you own your condo??

If the management company is pressured to do the job, how much insulation should they replace?

they may only replace what has been damaged.

Should they replace the muddy/dirty insulation in addition to the matted and scattered insulation?

doubtful they will remove insulation.

What thickness or R rating required to use?

depends on your location as to what R-value is required.
    in my hot humid climate we insulate to R-30 to R-38

Should they vacuum the area after taking out damaged and before placing new insulation? At this time, I am not sure if there is feces up there.

they prolly wont vacume old stuff out. lots of attics
    with feces..rats birds, and in your case racoon.
    as long as it stays in the attic I wouldn't worry
    about it.

just my .02

best of luck

• jseeley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's some good info!...Thanks so much. Yes I own my condo. Well I just learned today that the owner is responsible for it's own attic insulation, which is just nonsense. It's hard accepting that!! They claimed the building was sound and the raccoons forced or ripped the soffit open which leaves me liable. How can one prove that? I will check the bi-laws in the next couple days. But thanks again for the good info. It is greatly appreciated, really. John

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I want the job done right and it shouldn't have to be on my expense."

It may not be just your expense, but you and the other owners are going to end up paying.

• jseeley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"It may not be just your expense, but you and the other owners are going to end up paying."

Absolutely.. Hopefully the cost would have come out of our or managers' insurance which is a constant $ per year. I wouldn't want the monies coming out of our reserve. I spent about an hour skimming over the by-laws and cannot find any mention of "attic" "crawlspace" or "insulation." Regardless, it's my responsibility.

energy_rater_la...

Then it's ok to leave the muddy/dirty/feces-laden FG batt where it is even though it's slightly compressed and only replace the severely matted and missing batt? I have R-19 (built in '87)in the attic covering all ceilings.

Then can I blow cellulose over top? (Paper side of FG batt is against the sheet rock.)

Thanks so much guys
    John

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

the bldg may have been sound and the racoons
    made their own entrance later..who knows?

personally I hate cellulose..
    the fine particles find all the cracks
    in the ceiling and enter the living space.
    I'd replace batts or blow fg.
    if you blow insulation you can increase R-value
    to R-30 for a minimal upgrade cost.

I'd leave the original stuff in place.
    its hard enough to remove old insulation
    without having other crap (ha ha) to worry
    about.

best of luck.

• jseeley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! Can I blow FG on top of the insulated flexible duct work?

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

not sure what NJ allows.
    in my climate burying ducts in insulation causes
    them to condensae
    in Ca. they do it all the time.
    check with your code office
    or bldgscience for information specific to you.
    sorry not to be of help...

you might want to seal your ductwork with
    mastic (paint on mastic, mastic tape)
    before insulating. its a real pita later.
    and ducts leak a lot.

best of luck