Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Ballpark costs to fix flooding?

rob333 (zone 7b)
9 years ago

Last year, I got flooded no less than three times in three months. When I asked the landlord to fix it, his solution was to put a door sweep on. With the water over the door's threshhold, um, what happens when I want to open the door? Won't water come gushing in? Not fix the problem. I have repaired the home I owned before (I've owned plenty, I just wanted a break from fixing things. Oh well) enough to know how to work on things and I knew where the water was coming from, so I broke down and got out there and dug a ditch, graded the gravel and voila! The problem is fixed. Haven't been flooded since.

So what would a professional have charged? Eight feet long by about 9 inches deep, and carrying gravel from one part of the yard to the other. No costs other than manual labor. A contractor likely would've charged them for gravel? I'm not going to charge him. But I really want to know! :)

This post was edited by rob333 on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 9:34

Comments (15)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

If your intent is to file a claim against the owner, you'll need a lot more than an estimated value.

As a for-instance, what is you hourly wages for labor?

Exact dates and times.

Before and after photos.

Phone log,

Written document refusing to accomplish repairs.

Estimates for the repair.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NOT making a claim... could swear I said that? scroll, scroll... It said "I'm not going to charge him". I just wanna know how much good I did. Just for grins. I don't need my "problem" solved (I didn't hint, or pretend, I really said what I wanted). If you don't want to say, you don't want to say, but don't turn it into what it never was.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

When I asked the landlord to fix

==>>> move ... its the only sane thing to do ....

ken

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

There has never been a landlord on earth that hasn't responded to escrowed rent.

You wanna see a landlord dig a ditch in a hurry? Escrow your rent next time.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

$10 an hour for a ditch digger seems to be about right. So, $20-$30 bucks?

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"I have repaired the home I owned before (I've owned plenty, I just wanted a break from fixing things."

So you can see why I may have had an Idea, you might change your mind.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wasn't going to change my mind. You assuming it doesn't make it right. I said straightout what I wanted and I meant it.

A professional would've charged way more than $10 an hour. They would've come, checked it out, made a plan (and charged me for their time), and either dug it themsleves or hired someone. Really doubt it would've cost me $20 if I'd been the homeowner and hired someone to come do it for me. I appreciate the effort hollysprings. (grin)

heh, trebuchet! Good one. They're new at this. I've decided if I ever leave (unlikely!!!), I might tell them how it can work with someone who might escrow and/or document then hire someone (then stick them with the bill/deduct it from rent). The leaking tub is one where I very serious have considered doing it. Not the grading. I could do that with less headache, time spent. I'd already seen the flow of water and told him. Plumbing? I know what it's like once you take any plumbing apart. Can of worms!!!! They'd very likely be surprised how it works in reality. They seem to think a landlord's job is merely taking a check. It'd be as nice as could be said. They're so young.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"I wasn't going to change my mind. You assuming it doesn't make it right. I said straightout what I wanted and I meant it."

You are correct, I should have assumed, that because you had change you mind before, you would not have elected to take that option again.

I responded, in this public forum, in a manner that offers instruction to others whom may face similar circumstance, how to protect themselves, in a potentially adverse circumstance.

An escrow account has an expense involved with it's maintenance, which is in addition to the agreed lease/rent expense.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

If it's a rental property, the landlord could charge YOU for altering the property without permission. Even if you fixed a problem.

Next time, check you state's "Residential Landlord and tenant laws" for the proper way to give notice of hazards to health and property, the proper way to do a "tenanbt self-help" fix, and the proper way to issue a "fix it or I'm out of here".

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duh on the escrow part. I really have more knowledge than you seem to think I have. You could possibly ask me questions or get to know me before saying such things. It may be that I want to teach the landlord a "lesson" by using the escrow route. Luckily for them, I don't. There are so many things they do wrong. If I posted them all, you might get a picture. But honestly, I mostly let it go. I couldn't let flooding go. They really need some guidance. Holding money hostage could get through really quickly, and possibly, sear it into their brain.

You never answered the question I asked, but assumed you knew my motivation. That's not helpful. At least that's my opinion. We don't have to agree, but do know, you do not come across as helpful when you don't answer questions. I want you to know how you're coming across. If you mean to, go for it. If not, you may want to approach things differently in the future. Just helpful suggestions, like you gave.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Rob,

Congratulations on solving the flooding issue and treading delicately with your young landlords. Perhaps one of these days you will come across a 'teachable moment' to discuss plumbing and other issues in a way that will inform them and help them (and possibly you).
    As far as costs, it has been said more than once that where you live can make a real difference in labor costs.
    I think if you really want to know what a professional would charge, call one, tell them the facts, and ask. A real pro knows that every conversation doesn't end with a job, but that conversations may be remembered the next time the person needs a pro to hire..

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is incredibly true lucille! I may do that. I also volunteer at an organization where, I think, a general contractor works. He typically does construction for us, but yesterday, he'd done tiling. He might have a good handle on it.

• eaga
    9 years ago

Ditto to what lucille said, and I would call a landscaper. Around here, which is an expensive area, labor from a licensed, insured landscaping company would be about $50 to $70 per worker per hour, probably one hour minimum, plus the cost of the gravel, plus a little something to make it worth their while to come out for a relatively small job.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

You're failing to understand that a landlord would never call in a landscaper for that project. He'd go down to a HD parking lt and grab a couple of the laborers hanging around in the parking lot and bring them back to dig the ditch. I was being generous with the $10 figure for that. Maybe 2 guys at $5 an hour each. It'll be the same with any project. The lowest price and easiest solution will always win in a rental. And you did it for free, which only proves my point.

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

If it's a rental property, the landlord could charge YOU for altering the property without permission. Even if you fixed a problem
    I just wanted to emphasize this point that lazygardens made.

As a renter, you have no right to do what you did and the landlords could go after you!