Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Through-wall vent for range hood

Posted by jerry_nj (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 20, 11 at 9:08

I would like to install a Broan F403004 range hood over a range that sits against an outside wall. Sales information specifies a 3 1/4" by 10" horizontal vent is provided (knock-out). I think all I need is a external wall hood (like used on a cloths dryer, but not round in this case). The information I have says nothing about any of this being included with the range hood.

Is the hardware generally available (Home Depot,say) to connect a range hood through a wall to an external hood? Again, I am assuming the hood doesn't include this hardware, if it does, then I'm "Home".


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Through-wall vent for range hood

Range hoods do not normally cone with parts for venting since they are application specific.

It sounds like you have a smaller hood with a vent deigned to allow use in regular 2x4 walls.

As long as there is not a stud in the way you should be able to go straight back and out.
The section of vent line and the exterior piece are available from any number of HVAC sources (but not always a big box store).

RE: Through-wall vent for range hood

Happily the studs are about 6.5" to the left of center and 9.5" to the right, so the 10" wide duct should fit without any stud removal. It is a 2x4 stud wall with plywood sheathing and clapboard siding.

So it seems all I may need to add is a length of 3.25" x 10" duct (about 5" long) and a hood, with whatever is used to interconnect them.. sheet metal screws? It would be a problem is I had to construct the duct out of sheet material.

RE: Through-wall vent for range hood

"It would be a problem is I had to construct the duct out of sheet material."

You buy a longer piece of standard duct and cut it down.

reRE: Through-wall vent for range hood

pop rivets that match the material of the duct are better.

Put aluminum foil duct ta on the seams after everything is joined.

RE: Through-wall vent for range hood

Thanks, I stopped by Home Depot and found they carry an aluminum duct assemble with a spring door and hood for the outside. It has a through the wall 3.25" X 10" channel that is 5.25 inches long (should reach through the 3.5" stud depth, 1/2" dry wall and 3/4" sheathing, and have 1/2" to stick into the hood area... should work.

I'll look for aluminum foil duct tap to seal the joints.

RE: Through-wall vent for range hood

"should reach through the 3.5" stud depth, 1/2" dry wall and 3/4" sheathing, and have 1/2" to stick into the hood area... should work."

That is cutting things rather close until you have opened the wall.

RE: Through-wall vent for range hood

Right, and I haven't yet seen the hood, but if it is like the one I have, which is not vented, it attaches to the overhead cabinet and is butted against the interior drywall. From what I see of this unit, which is a similar unit, the subject vent assembly should stick into the fan chamber - I guess the only concern is getting a seal to assure the air moves outside, not into the wall cavity. May be the place for the aluminum tape you mention.

The new unit can be either vented or not and requires blocking the air path back into the house with a provided covers, otherwise it is just a air box which will vent out the wall, up through the ceiling, or back into the room, depending on which path is provided. I understand the "air box" has knockouts (3.25x10 through the wall and 8 inch round I recall for out the top/ceiling) and a path back into the room that has to be blocked.

RE: Through-wall vent for range hood

It would be smart to consider the quality of the damper. If you get a poor one, it can either excessively restrict the air flow or be a rather large and constant area for uncontrolled outdoor air infiltration.

RE: Through-wall vent for range hood

Thanks, the Home Depot unit has a large flange (flashing) about 2" wide and a good looking spring door. In real cold weather I'd stuff something in the outside just as I do with the cloths dryer and tell my wife not to use unless we remove the block.

I have never cut through an exterior wall but believe all there is, is the drywall on the inside, insulation between studs with the vapor barrier against the drywall (inside) and plywood sheathing with tar paper or other wrap on the outside, plus the clapboard siding. I believe it would be correct to remove enough siding to open the sheathing for the rectangular hole. Then to place the aluminum assembly through the hold with the flashing caulked (with an adhesive silicone caulk) around the hole under the assembly flashing. Then reinstall the siding to fit the assembly sticking though, with most of the flashing covered by the siding. Sound right?

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here