Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Considering hot crack filler for driveway cracks

Richard Dollard
11 years ago

Have any of you used a company to fill in the cracks of your driveway with the rubberized hot crack filler? I am considering hiring a local company. any thoughts? Thanks, Rich

Comments (3)

• randy427
    11 years ago

It depends on what you want the crack filler to do.
    It will not stop the forces that cause the asphalt to crack, but it will make it look better until the cracks grow wider or longer. It will also keep the weed growth until the cracks grow. The time-effectiveness of the filler depends on how the driveway was constructed, how much weight is put on it, etc.
    Also, some companies just spray down some sealer while others take care to force it into the cracks for a bit better result.
    IMHO, it's a one-to-two year cosmetic 'coat of paint'

• chester_grant
    11 years ago

randy427 is confusing crack filler with crack sealer.
    I used a company to "fix" the cracks in my driveway but they only used crack sealer and this was nothing more than a coat of paint....it did hardly anything to really fill in the actual cracks. After just one winter the cracks were as bad as ever.
    So I too wish to use a crack filler of the type which I have seen used on roads. I think maybe its applied by pouring but for "retail" I suspect one has to use a pressure gun.
    It looks unsightly but it fills the cracks.....one could use a sealer to apply to the whole driveway later to make it look.

• stinkytiger
    11 years ago

Hi,

Depends on the number of cracks you have. If alot then use a pro.

I had a few and used a product called Latex-ite Pli-Stix. For a 30 foot roll it costs $US 11.50 at Home Depot.

You will need a blow torch and a large screw-driver too. The blow torch should have a regulated valve. This is most important because you need to tip the propane tank over at an angle to apply the flame to your driveway. You can also use the "Yellow" MAPP gas for a hotter flame, which is nice but not essential.

You clean out the drieveway cracks with a brush. Then make sure the area is dry. You then stuff the pli-Stix into the crack with the large screw driver. This is the most time consuming bit. The Pli-Stix can be made softer and easier to work with by leaving the transparent plastic container out in the sun for say 10 mins. The green house effect heats up the material making it easier to work with. If your crack is small, you may need a pair of scissors to cut the Pli-Stix into smaller diameter bits. Again having the pli-stix warm will make this job alot easier.

ALso have a bucket of water nearby. If the stuff gets too sticky dip your hands and scissors into the water.

One you have stuffed and filled the crack with the pli-stix you apply the torch flame. The material melts and seals up the crack. This blow-torch bit is actually the easy bit. Just keep the flame moving and you are done.

The material melts for a good join. The material remains rubbery and dependent on temperature "soft". This is OK because it will move with the join / crack. I had yet to go through a winter. But so far so good. Other people report good winter chracteristics.

I think the only downside is the time required to stuff the cracks with a screwdriver.

All the best, Mike.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pli Stix