Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation 2 ply waterproofing membrane not affixed to wall

Posted by SparklingWater (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 8:38

We had serious exterior waterproofing work done in 2012 at major cost. Lamentably, we're still dealing with crawl space water in heavy rains. The downspouts have extensions running more than 10' to side. Grading is next on my list.

Below is a photo of the 2 ply poly membrane placed after tarring walls. It's all over the place in differing heights, but not secured. In some areas it's very low below the ground, in other areas it's slightly above the ground and has serious dirt caught both immediately next to the foundation as well as between the first and second layer. Clayish dirt.

Wasn't this membrane supposed to be high enough so as to secure it to the foundation wall with a deflection for the water and some mastic or other? The way it is now, the water runs down between the membrane, pushing it against the foundation.

Thanks for your advise on what to do here. How do I manage that unattached waterprooofing membrane when we have it properly graded in short order?

Membrane here is about 3/4" above ground.
 photo downsized_0831041034_zps57f0571e.jpg

XP in landscaping due to time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation 2 ply waterproofing membrane not affixed to wall

You need to tell us what is is. It should not be coal-tar based but it might be some kind of modified asphalt. Once you know what it is you can ask the manufacturer how to seal the top edge.

o
RE: Foundation 2 ply waterproofing membrane not affixed to wall

Renovator8-the original paperwork description simply states "apply tar-based foundation coating and install buried liner system". To me the liner looks compatible with 6 ml visquen polyethylene. Tar may be roofing cement aka mastic.

I have asked for a better written explanation of what precisely was done from the company and it has not been forthcoming. That was before I grasped the significance of the liner's unevenness and lack of being secured. I didn't know to ask these questions before the job, which makes me feel even worse. It's a highly positive reviewed company so I don't understand just what went wrong with our job such that I can't even grade now.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 9:29

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here