Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing solar light photosensors

Posted by motor137 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 8:32

The single point of failure in Garden type solar lights where they use a dawn to dusk sensor is that the sensor gets cooked in the sun and soon fails. Most of us throw away those solar lights if they are out of warranty. These photo cells can be replaced.

I am on a quest to locate replacement photosensor/resistor and repair otherwise useless solar lights that will end up in a landfill. These lights can be reused.

Please contact me with any ideas of sources to
deaanderud@comcast.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing solar light photosensors

Try DigiKey for photocells.
You are usually looking for the cadmium sulfide type.

o

Thanks,

I also found these at Radio Shack, P/N 276-1657. Photoresistor, cadmium sulfide as you mentioned. Hope this all helps those DIYrs.

o

In my experience, most low price solar garden lights do not have photosensor resistor, they use spec. as output voltage of solar PV panel to control the ON/OFF light. We also can try to replace the built-in rechargeable battery to let them working. For detail suggestion,please send mail to sunnybp@126.com

Here is a link that might be useful: sunnybp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here