Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-caulking tub, Scraped when removing

Posted by brusso (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 8:24

I needed to re-caulk a bath tub. When removing the old caulk I scraped the tub and there are now several black lines. I thought they were dirt/scuff marks but i can not rub them out. I think I might have removed a bit of the white from the tub. What is the fix?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-caulking tub, Scraped when removing

What is the tub made of?

o

Might try a little Bar Keeper's Friend on a wet rag or other white powder cleanser, don't rub hard as might remove the finish if it is porcelain, fiberglass cleaner for fiberglass. Baking soda & water paste might work or try toothpaste.

o

Hi,
50% Bleach 50% Water with a wet rag should do the trick.

Johnson
Decorsuite Inc.
www.decorsuite.com

o

decor
NO SPAMMING or Advertising at all on GW boards - read the rules

Try Mr Clean magic eraser & some soft scrub w/bleach

o

"Try Mr Clean magic eraser & some soft scrub w/bleach"

Without knowing what the tub is made of no suggestion can really be made.

If the tub is porcelain enamel mild abrasives and chemicals MAY remove the marks.

If the tub is fiberglass or composite the marks may have removed material from the surface to expose an underlying layer and removing anything further is NOT going to work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here