Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sequence - carpet or refinish floors?

Posted by brusso (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 7:52

Here is the situation. House is empty. Owners/neighbors/friends of mine moved out and now want to replace all the carpeting AND refinish the hardwood floors( Sanding, staining, finishing several coats) as well as clean all the windows. Second floor is all carpet. The first floor has hardwoods in kitchen, LR, DR, and hallway. First floor also has one bedroom to carpet and a very large den to carpet. When asked about the sequence I figured that it would be wise to do the hardwood floors first, to get all the dust and whatever done with, then the carpet. However, the GC/flooring guy who is handling this job says the carpet should be installed first. His reasoning is that if the wood floors are done first, then there is the risk that carpet layers might scratch the wood floors with tack strips, nails, etc, so he feels that the carpeting should be done first.
Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sequence - carpet or refinish floors?

I agree with you. The carpet layers can be more careful or lay down protective sheets if they are that bad a causing floor damage.

o
RE: Sequence - carpet or refinish floors?

If that GC thinks that, maybe his help has a problem with not messing up folks houses.

Carpet is ALWAYS the last flooring to go in. In my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here