Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evolving_gw

What's a gal to do?

evolving
12 years ago

Hello,

I appreciate any guidance that you can offer. Having a hard time finding info online.

House was struck by lightening. Some damage to siding outside. Older aluminum siding. Damaged area couldn't be replaced - don't make my siding anymore. Insurance said get estimates for new siding. Found one person to give me estimate on new aluminum. No one else wants to touch it - everyone in my area does vinyl now. I called anyone and everyone.

Insurance company issued check, minus depreciation. Will receive that upon completion of work. Seems my aluminum installer doesn't really want to do aluminum - would rather do vinyl. Said insurance doesn't really care what I replace with, so long as I replace my siding. A good quality vinyl will be close in price. If I would have known this going in, I would have submitted an estimate for vinyl, instead. I probably could force the job based on my estimate - but that sounds like trouble coming. And, not sure I want to use something that is outdated.

If there were others lining up for the (aluminum) work, I'd just move on. My insurance company has been good to me, and I'm grateful.

My letter from insurance company said they were paying for replacement of siding. No exact material specified.

I won't "pocket" any money. It will all be spent on residing the house. I'm going to upgrade a few spots, so I'll probably pay more than what I received from insurer, in the end. I'm just wondering if, when I submit proof of work done, they will take issue with vinyl being used.

I plan to call and discuss with them, but I want to be prepared before I call. What would you do?

I greatly appreciate your input.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company