Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are white shingles really cooler?

Posted by jacquelynn (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 3:50

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum for this question.
I'm replacing a white tar and gravel roof with 30-year Gaf Timberline shingles. I'm deciding between "aspen white" and "hickory." Does anyone know if the house itself
will feel significantly hotter with the darker color?

I live in Southern California, but don't have central A/C. I haven't needed it up til now.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are white shingles really cooler?

It depends on the exposure of the roof and how much insulation is in it but the surface of the roof will definitely be cooler. In a well insulated house in a moderate climate, white shingles will probably have more effect on the lifespan of the shingles than on the temperature of the interior spaces and the quality of the shingles will have more effect on the lifespan than color.

o

You are replacing a flat roof with a slanted shingle roof?

If that is what you are doing, adding a sufficient amount of insulation in the new attic space will be more efficient that any shingle color.

o

Thanks, Macv and handymac!

Yes, we're replacing the flat roof with a slanted roof.
There's enough pitch for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here