Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what tool to use to remove this type of screw?

Posted by manisha517 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 2:33

hello!

need advice on what type of tool to use to remove this screw - it does not have any grooves to "grip" on to.

Photobucket

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what tool to use to remove this type of screw?

How about a WRENCH??

o

An Allen wrench.

Michael

o

do you have a rachet set ,from the pic it looks like a 5/16 socket should work.mabey smaller/bigger.

o

Out of desperation I'd probably use a small needle nose plier.

o

If your asking about the fastener on the back plate beside the text in the photo, that is not a screw, it is a hex head nut.

To remove a hex head nut you would use an open or closed end spanner wrench, adjustable wrench, socket wrench, nut driver or channel lock pliers.

If you are asking about the two dowel pins in the foreground, they appear to be either press fit or spot welded in place and would require cutting off flush with the base material, then either grind smooth or drill out the hole.

o

Use a nut driver or a small socket wrench. It looks like about a 5/16.
http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000FJG9DS?searsBrand=core

o

If you are asking about the two dowel pins in the foreground

That's funny. It's an optical illusion. I didn't see two dowel pins sticking out, I saw two indents in the metal. I didn't know what you were talking about. Had to look at the picture again. Now I can see it both ways, but I still think they are really indents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here