Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing undermount sink????

Posted by linday12 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 0:01

Hi all,
I have purchased a vanity with a travertine top and porcelain(sp?) undermount sink. I want to remove the sink and replace it with a glass one. Two contractors have told me that they can't guarantee that the travertine won't break. Has anyone had any expreience with this? Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing undermount sink????

The contractors are 100% correct. While you can remove the silicon cauk between the sink and the top and then loosen the clips holding it in place, unless you get off 100% of the caulk between the sink and the top, any prying motion to remove that sink may crack it or the top. Also, that hole probably will not fit anything but the sink it's intended to fit. Undermount sinks are not universally sized and can have very individual shapes and measurements, especially any of the hand made ones.

If you really want to use a particular glass bowl, then visit a stone fabricator to select your stone and have him cut the hole your sink needs and then mount it. If it's a small vanity, he may have a remnant piece that could do the job and cost a bit less. But, most of the stone costs are actually fabrication costs, so don't expect it to be less than a couple of hundred dollars.

o
RE: Removing undermount sink????

Thanks for your reply live wire. I was really hoping there was a technique or solvent to make it easier to remove. I fell in love with Oceana's champaigne colored glass bowl, but the vanity I bought comes with the top and sink. I don't care if the original sink breaks, but I'd hate to have an additional expense of another top. My ultimate goal was to have a sink that I could backlight. I guess I'll have to rethink that. Thanks again for your reply!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here