Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
noisy power roof vent fan

Posted by raee (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 22:32

I just had my roof replaced and part of that had a powered roof vent/fan installed. It has made a difference already in the upstairs temperature, BUT--it was extremely noisy; the vibration and hum were heard & felt throughout the upstairs and in one bedroom it was intolerable.
So the contractor came out & replaced it (after 3 phone calls over 3 weeks to him) and the new one is much quieter, but still the hum is quite noticable and somewhat annoying in that one bedroom.

So, how much noise is usual & acceptable from one of these power vents? I am wondering if there should be a sound absorbing gasket of sorts that perhaps was not installed, or is it just a case of a low end unit that makes more noise than a more expensive one would, or is it quite typical to hear a noticable hum from the roof vent through the ceiling? BTW, there is an attic with two layers of batt insulation under the roof.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: noisy power roof vent fan

if mounted properly, a good unit won't put out any noise or hum that can be heard/felt in the house. my parents house has 2 and you never know they are running.

my house i put in a gable fan and at first i had it mounted wrong and it would vibrate teh wall around it. you heard it in both my son and my daughter's bedrooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here