Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zooming993

Helpm with MVP/Allstar Garage Door Opener

zooming993
12 years ago

I'm not sure if anyone can help me the subject garage door so I won't go into detail right now. If you ae familiar with these garage door openers please let me know and I'll explain the problem I'm having.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

Is this a new strategy when asking for help?

• zooming993
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not really, I just didn't want to enter a bunch of information if no one knows much about MVP/Allstar door openers. In short the problem I'm having is, 2 garage doors will not close without me holding down the down button. We have 5 garage doors and the other 3 close correctly by pressing and releasing the button.

Thanks

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

If when you try to close the door with your remote the main light flashes 10 times and the door reverses to the open position it is a problem with the door sensors. Make sure they are pointed at one another and the small light on each one is lit and not flickering. Tweak them if necessary. If you cannot get both lights to come on you have bad sensors. If this isn't the symptom you are having post back with more information.

• zooming993
    Original Author
    12 years ago

don,

Thank you for the reply. The door will close fine as long as I hold down the close button. When we purchased the home the sensors were missing so I bought new Allstar sensors and I still can't get the doors to close properly. Even with new sensors I can't get them to light up and they are inline with one another. As I mentioned in my earlier post we have 5 garage doors all having the same door opener. I checked how they were wired to the openers and the 2 that don't work are wired the same. I also ran a continuity check on the wires running from the sensors to the door opener and they are all fine. Any other areas I should be looking at?

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

It sounds like the sensors may not be wired correctly. One of the wires from each sensor is solid white. These should go to terminal #2 on the rear of the motor unit. The other wires are white with a black stripe. They should go to terminal #3.

When wired correctly one of the sensor lights should be on all the time and the other will only light when they are pointed at one another.

• zooming993
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don,

Thanks again for the help. I rewired it as you suggested but the door still doesn't shut without holding down the close button. After rewiring the back of the unit one of the two sensors is now blinking read. As for the sensors, only one of the two sensors has a light on it. The sensor that doesn't have a red light has a clear lens. On the back of the door opener there is a red and green LED light, the green light is now blinking.

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

The light on each sensor must be lit for them to work properly. You might have gotten bad sensors. Why don't you try changing them with another one of your openers and see what happens?