Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Can't get my chafing dish burner to light!

Posted by mayfirst (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 21:42

I have a beautiful silver plated chafing dish which I recently inherited. I am at my wit's end trying to light the burner that comes with it. I have purchased two types of chafing dish/fondue fuels without success. I am posting photos of the burner. It is a round silver plated container with a screw in top which holds the wick. There is a long handle attached to this top which regulates the amount of height that the wick extends. I assume that closing it completely is intended to extinguish the flame but the darn thing will not light at all. I have trimmed the wick on both ends and it is plenty long enough to soak into the fuel. The part sticking up is wet. What am I doing wrong? AGGHH

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Burner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Can't get my chafing dish burner to light!

I've never seen a chafing dish heater like that. All the ones I have seen have the wick exposed---since it is fumes that burn, not liquid fuel. You might try pulling the ends of the wick out the holes in that center piece.

o

The unit you have is meant to run on denatured alcohol.

o

Thank yo so much brickeyee. I will buy some and give it a try!

o

The wick appears pretty short in the picture and you may need a new wick.
It needs to be long enough to be in the alcohol in the tank and stick up 1/8 to 1/4 inch depending on the flame size you need.
Make sure you leave some space above the liquid in the tank since it will expand slightly from the heat.
I would test it outside under the chafing dish (add some water to the dish) over a non-flammable surface.

o

You need to do a search Buffet Burners for a flameless alternative to sterno. We use these all the time. They are great for the environment, saves you lots of money, and you can use them all day if you need to. Just think of all that trash you create in a year burning all those cans of chafing dish fuel, and all that CO2 into the air. Sterno does not even heat the chafer properly, and if any wind is blowing they don't work at all. With this product you convert your chafer to a flameless chafer! We need to be more concerned about the world we all live in. If you find yourself using things over and over, you should try to look for a solution to the problem.

o

This is not a sterno device.

o

Would you mind reposting the Photo of Burner....I'm a member but cannot access the picture.
Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here