Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
italiacook

Defective CertainTeed roof shingles/shangles

italiacook
18 years ago

Anyone out there with CertainTeed Horizon shingles from the 1990's? Just had a reputable roofer certified in CertainTeed installation look at our roof which is 12 years old and has been deteriorating badly - curling, pitting, cracking, our gutters have thick muck in them from deteriorating so badly. Apparently, these were a defective shingle from the manufacturing company. The company is supposed to be a good one and we bought them with a 25 year warranty and had them installed professionally and correctly with proper ventilation, etc. Now, the claims procedure is a fiasco and all they might give is a prorated amount. That is not going to offset my 10,000 bill.

What is going on here? We don't mind paying for upkeep and maintenance of a home. However, this item has been listed as defective and only now are people starting to notice the problems. We have to pay for a new roof twice within 10-12 years.

Anyone hear of this problem or what they might suggest?

What good is having a warranty if the company will not stand by a defective product? If we had the product and it stood up for a reasonable time, that would be one thing, but this didn't even make it half way through!

Comments (150)

• martynowotny
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had the carriage house shingles installed on my house in 1995. They are still as good as new. No problems at all. I live in Iowa with cold winters and hot summers.

• packerfan78
    15 years ago

Another one for this seemingly endless list.... I just replaced my roof after obtaining several estimates in the fall of 2007. I was informed I had a defective product from CertainTeed. Org. roof put on in fall of 1995. We bought the home in May of 2002. Roof was in bad shape for past 18 months, but had to save up to replace....expensive repair....I should have been a roofer!

Now have new roof at a cost of 9 grand and just today mailed in the claim forms to CertainTeed. Got plenty of pics and sample shingles....even made doubles of everything in case i had to "re-submit" the claim..... I have the same problems as described above...I have never seen a shingle look like this, and I used to work for a roofing company while in college... the shingles are literally "melting" away, and this was only after 10 years for a 25 yr rated product.

Sounds like the best thing to do is keep pestering the company until the initial offer is doubled or more and then if half way decent, swallow your pride and take it....I will see how far I get with their "claim process", but if not reasonable I will look to add my name to the class action suit....

Not trying to hold them up for a new roof(with labor)...but 50% or more of the materials would be a reasonable offer....not the $300-$500 offers I have been reading about.

I assume this action is still open to additional home owners in WI? ...one more thing, I am the second owner....anyone in this position have any kind of luck, or does the company hide behind that as grounds for denial.

any input or update would be appreciated.

Signed
    -Grumpy in Green Bay

• peebee3
    15 years ago

This is from the Halunen website:
    "Updates:
    As of October, 2008, the CertainTeed class action continues to collect evidence for the states that have already been transferred to the U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, where CertainTeed is located. We have filed for a national class certification, which would allow this case to proceed on a national level rather than state by state. Though we expected a hearing by the end of the summer, we have postponed this hearing to begin possible settlement negotiations with CertainTeed. A settlement could result in the lawsuit being completed as soon as the next six months. If the settlement does not offer a fair outcome, we will proceed with the litigation process and reschedule the class certification.

We continue to review and analyze documents we have acquired from CertainTeed and have assembled a case that, we believe, will effectively substantiate our claim. As they are being reviewed, it is becoming increasingly evident that CertainTeed knowingly produced shingles that were deteriorating prematurely. Furthermore we have obtained experts who will support our claims that CertainTeeds shingles are defective and would not be expected to endure normal wear and tear.

To participate in this case, you must verify that you have CertainTeeds organic shingles. While many customers may have been experiencing problems with their fiberglass shingles, those claims are outside the scope of this lawsuit. A list of CertainTeeds organic and fiberglass shingles is found at our FAQ."

I also spoke with CT tech center this week re: our claim. It is taking 4-8 weeks for them to respond (via letter) after you send in your documentation. Hmm, wonder what I'll be offered. Guess I'll find out in a few short weeks. *sigh*

• flowerchild_421
    15 years ago

WE too are having a problem with the shingles on our cabin. It was roofed in 1998. This last weekend we were cleaning the gutters and noticed a large amount of stones in the gutters. On futher investigation notice the shingles were curling and had bubbles in them. When we touched the bubbles the shingles fell apart. So a 25 year shingles is junk after 10 years. I am in the process of filing a claim with Certain Teed. I noticed in the warranty they will not cover the tearing off of the old roof. What is the sense of putting on a new roof without taking the old roof off. So at the owner expense you have take off the old shingles. If you already have a problem with the roof, let's compound it by leaving the old shingles on. Wish us luck on our warranty claim. Gboensch In Mid Michigan

• dopeterso4
    15 years ago

Sadly, I am now a part of this happy club, too. We installed 30-year shingles in 98 and the roofer just told me they were defective. They are curling and an inordinate amount of the composition has come off.

I am also saddened to let all you Iowans know that the AG's office has no interest in helping us because it's a defective-product issue. Sigh.

• mercruise
    15 years ago

I am really concerned after reading all of your postings and experiences with CT shingles. Fortunately, we have not yet replaced our roof after storm damages this year. Our insurance company has already paid us for replacement, but we just can't decide who or what to go with. We have obtained several estimates/quotes from contracors/roofers. We think we have decided on a very respected roofing company. However, we have not signed a contract and would like as much information on the product materials as possible. We have found that each contractor uses certain manufacturers. However, we want to make a good choice.

Here is the dilemma: what type of roof to get?? I am seeing three years of postings about the many problems with CT shingles ... and some with GAF. I have heard locally that Atlas shingles have also deteriorated prematurely. I read comments about none of the asphalt shingles being much better than the others.

Our current roof is a 3tab installed by a previous owner. (The age of the roof is 17 years.) We did not see any significant wearing prior to the hail storm this year. We only had granule loss but it was significant. In waiting while many neigbors replaced their roofs, we ended up losing many shingles in Hurricane Gustav this August. Again, we have watched other neighbors replacing major home damages in addition to roofs.

After yet another hurricane (Ike), we considered upgrading to a metal roof, but eventually thought it would be cost prohibitive and thought we would settle for an architectural shingle with a 30, 35, or 40 year life. Now we are faced with reconsidering again.

Does anyone out there have any positive experience with your replacement roof after the CT failure?

Do any of you with other roofing experience have more to say about other manufacturer products, including metal roof options?

I am almost mentally exhausted trying to find the right answer. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mercruise

• awm03
    15 years ago

Mercruise, I looked and looked and looked all over the internet for complaints about CertainTeed's Grand Manor top-of-the-line shingle and couldn't find any. It's a product that's been out since the early '90's, so it's had plenty of time to exhibit any tendency to fail. We took the gamble and installed it this summer. The roofers were impressed with the quality.

• katmandu15golf
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone

I also have Certainteed shingles on roof. They are the Sealdon 25 Nickle Gray. They were put on roof Summer 2002.

I have experienced sometimes excessive granules in gutters and downspouts. Roofing contractors have said this is somewhat the norm.

I have not seen many posts regarding Sealdon 25 Shingles. I am wondering if this shingle is ok or do others have problems with this shingle?

I have not experienced curling or deterioation. Is this something that I should expect? Should I become part of the class action lawsuit?

Looking forward to your posts

JKat

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

awmo3,mercruise, We have grand manors on our build installed 10/06. Time will tell but i am very impressed with the construction of the shingle. 5-ply and a 425#/per square make it a heavy shingle with a 50 yr warranty. I believe the life span is dependent on geographical location despite mfgr warranty claims, but we are very happy with the asthetics as well as the build of this shingle. There are other mfgr's that come closer to resembling slate, but that wasn't what we were after. Awesome roof, imo.

• highfield1
    15 years ago

JKat, I too have Sealdon 25s and they are crumbling beyond what they should be doing. I've just read through these postings and am trying to decide what to do. There is a lawfirm in my area (Milwaukee) that is filing individual lawsuits--the Techmeier Lawfirm. Options as I see 'em: 1) Apply for compensation from Certainteed. 2) Contact Techmeier. 3) Contact the above named Class Action Suit with Halunan. I'm inclining toward 3) because they're already partway down the road.

The whole thing is so disheartening. Not to mention disgusting. Not to mention EXPENSIVE.

• gelkins49_gmail_com
    15 years ago

We purchased our 12 y/o home in Maryland from original owner in August 2007 and had very bad roof leakage during late summer of 2008 after heavy rains. Called a company that had done other work for us to check the roof and they informed us that almost all of the shingles were cracked, warped and de-granualated. Our contractor took video and still photos of roof and we filed a claim using the still photos + shingle samples with Certain Teed. They denied our claim alleging that the warranty was not ransferred to us from the original owner within the "transferability" period,therefore, Certain Teed is not liable for any replacement shingles.

We are researching Maryland law Re: merchantability since it is clear that shingles are from Certain Teed and are defective because they did not last any where near the 25 years they were warranted. We are looking to join a class-action or to get referrals to a Maryland law firm specializing in this type of case.

Suggestions are welcomed.

• monika9400_aol_com
    15 years ago

I am so sorry that everyone is having such a horrible issue with CertianTeed shingles. I am a Maryland resident. I've finally saved up enough to get my badly needed roof replaced. The roofer uses this product. He's using the Landmark 30. Has anyone have any issues with this shingle or are all their products defective? Please advise. What about the gaf shingles? Please help.

• mplsjim
    14 years ago

I work for a company in Minneapolis specializing in roof replacement. Most every roofing company "carries" a brand / manufacturer of roofing materials, because they receive special pricing / volume discounts and other spiffs for carrying that brand. Of course, nobody wants to carry a product that will fail early, or cause problems for their customers. Anyway, over time, I've worked for companies that carry different brands, and all the manufacturer's reps make compelling arguments why their brand(s) are the best - from experience, I have my own personal preferences of what shingles are the best, and why. I'd be happy to discuss my unbiased opinions with anyone who cares to write to me. Side note: There are many current events effecting how shingles are made, and resulting quality of those products (example: mergers, acquisitions, consolidating production plants, etc...). Best regards from MN.

• tree_guy_bob
    14 years ago

I installed approximately 58 squares of CertainTeed Horizon Shangles in 1996. Curling and loss of granules began almost immediately, with shingles wholly failing by 2002. I contacted CertainTeed who asked for pictures and details which I provided. They stated "MY" dilemma was likely due to insufficient roof pitch. About 75% of my shingles are on a 4.3:12 pitch, with the remainders all on steeper roofs. Some of my roof has a 14:12 pitch (gambrel knee wall)and it too failed like all the rest. Every pitch in between likewise failed. North exposures seem to fail first, and paradoxically south fares the best.

After dealing with the CertainTeed rep, who basically stated they would pay pennies on the dollar, I decided just to drop the pursuit and tell anyone who would listen of my poor CertainTeed experiences. Run from CertainTeed.

Coincidentally, I consider myself mechanically able. The shingles were installed in the mid west, in 70 degree temps, on new decking, with 15 lb felt, and with the assistance of a roofer with over 27 years experience. I've never had a previous roof I've installed fail, and have actually marveled at how long some of my Owens Corning roofing has lasted. Should have stuff with Owens Corning in '96! I just put 79 squares of Owens Corning on my new home...hope I'm not back on this forum in ten years with further sad tales!

• grumpyman
    14 years ago

I have the CertainTeed "New Horizon" fiber glass shingles. It looks like the discussion so far concern mostly the "organic" shingles and they are the ones being included in the class action lawsuits. I have made the official claim to CertainTeed concerning my shingles that are showing deep vertical cracks and a lot of grannule loss. They claim the shingles are not defective. Is there anyone out there that knows about any legal action for the shingles that I have? Thanks....grumpy

• amkpeer
    14 years ago

Hi Bloggers,
    I work for a contracting/roofing company in Minnesota. We see cracking, curling and extensive wind damage to the Certainteed organic shingles all the time. If you're looking for a contracting company to replace your roof who will go above and beyond your expectations, please contact me at newlifecontracting93@gmail.com. If damage is from a recent storm we can get you the new roof for the cost of your deductible or less.
    newlifecontracting93@gmail.com

• kazul
    14 years ago

I have Certanteed New Horizon asphalts that are failing after 4.5 yrs. Does anyone know of a group suit in the NW WI area or somewhere I can get more info?

• localroofer
    14 years ago

yes, I live in Mn. and can help you enter a lawsuit where the attorneys are suing for full replacement costs. Email me for more info.

• kazul
    14 years ago

post the name of the law firm please
    thanks

• vatooh
    14 years ago

The prior owners of my house had new certainteed shingles installed in 2002 and they are failing. At this point I believe my options are (1) to either contact my insurance company, open a claim and hope that they will cover it. worst case they say no and I have a claim against my insurance history. My other option is to pay for the replacement myself and join the class action law suit in hopes of recouping some of the cost. For those who understand "insurance score" better than I do, do you think that Im better off starting with option 1 and hope that the insurance company will cover me?

• ibkazul_gmail_com
    14 years ago

My home owners clearly states that they are not respnsible for defective materials used in the remodeling or building of the home or for any damages caused as a result of the defective materials failing.
    Check your policy but I bet they are pretty much all written that way.

• douge
    14 years ago

Just got a call this morning 7/05/09 for a roof I put on in 2003 that is falling off. New horizons.

• prb79_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

Certainteed won ~ I settled w/ them. Was it a "fair" settlement for a 6 1/2 yr old (Sealdon 30 yr) roof? Probably not ~ but I had to replace it & did not have the money to do so without a settlement. And in searching the "progress" of the lawsuit I found 10+ pages of "continuances". I caved & settled.

My advice: file a claim w/ CT following their website instructions; sign on to the class action suit; then keep re-negotiating with CT until they say that is their "final" offer. Yes, the final offer WILL be just a pittance of your costs.

THEN write a letter to the CEO of CT. Keep it complimentary; add a touch of humor; detail their final offer & tell him what you think would be a fair settlement & ask his help in the matter. It made a big difference in the settlement offer. Like I said the fair thing to have been done on a 6 1/2 yr old roof that was experiencing problems for several years before I reported it would have been to honor the "SureStart warranty (full replacement costs). That didn't happen, but they did sweeten the deal a bit more and I couldn't wait.

When the CEO's representative says "this is the final offer" you have 1 year to accept. BTW, that offer was made by telephone (& I almost didn't answer the call!). They then followed up in writing. By following the above I think you will have exhausted all possibilities & then can then better decide whether to accept CT's settlement or stay in the lawsuit. Nothing to lose.

Good luck to all of you ~ this is a sad deal from a company who has been the world leader in building products.

• uncertainteed
    14 years ago

I guess I'll put in my 2 cents worth.
    My Dad had his Certainteed shingles installed 12 years ago, and now they needed to be replaced. Very bad curling and deterioration was present. After posting on another forum, I was informed of the class action lawsuit against CT involving its organic shingles. After checking the invoice for the roofing job from 12 years ago, it turns out that my dad has organic shingles. We were going to file a warranty claim, but it says on the law firm's site that we'd be ineligible for the lawsuit if we accept a warranty payment. I would think CT would LOVE to make a warranty claim payment so they could pay for the shingles only, while the lawsuit covers full replacement costs, including labor (assuming the lawsuit is successful).
    Sadly, we didn't know about any of this until he just had his roof redone by a contractor who uses Certainteed shingles. He installed Landmark Arcitectual shingles. Now we just have to hope they won't break down after 12 or less years.

• manke5_netzero_com
    14 years ago

Yes, we also have the defective certain teed shingles. We put up a Wausau Home in 1996 after we lost our other home in a tornado. We were told by a building dept. manager at Menards already in 2000 that we would need to replace our roof soon. We have managed to put it off until now but it can no longer wait as a dark spot appeared on my living room ceiling. Our shingles are cracking and curling and our gutters are filled with shingle grain. It also looks like we repaired the roof with different colors of shingles. What is the best way to go about this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• uncertainteed
    14 years ago

My advice is to sign up for the class action lawsuit that is in progress at the following link: http://www.halunenlaw.com/news/2006/11/21/certainteed-shingles-class-action-lawsuit

• peebee3
    14 years ago

Even though I have settled w/ CT I still follow the class action suit. Here is the latest update from Halunen:
    August 19, 2009

Dear CertainTeed Customer:

We have been engaged in settlement negotiations with the CertainTeed Corporation for over one year in an attempt to obtain a fair resolution for consumers injured by the companys defective organic shingles. We have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with the company that sets forth the terms of a settlement that we believe to be in the best interests of consumers based upon an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses relating to liability against the company and damages.

We now intend to submit the matter to the Court for preliminary approval. This should happen in the month of September. Should the Court give preliminary approval to the settlement, then the parties will provide notice to consumers nationwide, to advise them of their rights under the settlement and to give them the opportunity to either participate in the settlement or not to participate and pursue their own remedies. If you decide to participate, you will be provided with information on how you would need to submit your claim in order to receive compensation under the settlement. As previously instructed, please retain any and all information about your shingles, including photographs, shingle samples, receipts from any repairs, and a signed statement from a contractor stating that the shingles are defective CertainTeed organic shingles.

Below, please find preliminary details on how the proposed settlement may affect you. Please be aware that these details are not finalized, and changes may occur. Because details are not yet finalized, our office will not be able to make individualized calculations for consumers.

1. If you have or had CertainTeed organic shingles and are covered under a valid CertainTeed warranty you would receive $74 per square$34 per square for material costs, pro-rated based on the date of installation and $40 per square for labor costs, not pro-rated for the first ten years from installation and pro-rated thereafter.

2. If you purchased a building with CertainTeed shingles, but do not have a valid transferrable warranty you would receive $34 per square pro-rated based on the date of installation.

3. If you have resolved your warranty claim with CertainTeed since August 1, 2006 you would receive 20% of the difference between the amount you received in the warranty claim and the amount you would have received under the settlement.

We do not have more specific details available at this time, but we will let you know if this information becomes available. Because we have had literally thousands of consumers contact our offices to report their defective CertainTeed shingles, please do not make further inquiries to our office at this time. We will not have any further information for you until the Court approves the proposed settlement. If the Court does not approve the settlement, then class certification briefing will resume.

We understand that you may have many questions about how this process will work; please understand that this is all the information we are able to provide at this time. We will provide you with updated information and more details as soon as they become available. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thank you,
    HALUNEN & ASSOCIATES

• organic_smiley1
    13 years ago

Hi, I have a second home in WI and found in July 2009 that the roof was completely curled up like a fruit rollup!!! Certainteed shingles that were suppose to last 25 years lasted only 13-14 & I am getting the run around from the company. Sent in 3 seperated shipments of shingles to them with them stating they have not recieved any (the last one was with proof of delivery and signature) Found the class action suit today, April 21, 2010 with the deadline on their site of April 26, 2010. The claim form, pictures & shingle must be sent in, yet they keep saying they have not received any shingles, and remind you this is going on for 9 months!!! If they did acknowledge receipt at some point, & I filled out a claim form, it looks as if it will come to approx. $55 per 100 square feet per the chart of settlement. That only amounts to about $600 for most people, right? What about the approx. $4300 I had to put up to replace this roof that should have lasted me another 11 years, not to mention the mortgage I had to take out to pay that $4300 & the interest I will be paying on it for the next 15 year term on the loan???? And did I mention the insurance company dropped us for having a roof that was flying off our house? Has anyone sued on their own? Is it better to opt out and do that? Will the attorneys recover their fees from Certainteed that will prob. lose the case? Or will we have no good suit on our own? Help me, someone.... I need some good advice because there are only 4 days left to get a claim to them, including a weekend. Thanks...(:-))

• frozen_ocean
    13 years ago

Hello I also am from MN and have new horizon shingles on my garage roof and we had a strom come through and I just had my insurance guy out and we went up on my roof and noticed alot of cracking and the shinlges loosing there granulars. They are only about 6 years old does anyone know if there is any new lawsuits out there?

Thanks

• kankan5
    13 years ago

Cleaning gutters this weekend ---- tons of granules falling off leaving bare spots and cracking -- we have a 12/12 pitch New Horizon roof approx 9yrs old --- I'm sure it will be leaking soon! Anyone else have probs w/ New Horizon?

• robin_k-computer_com
    13 years ago

I live in PA, in 2002 we built a New Era Home and it had CT New Horizon Shangles (fiberglass)installed. We built a garage in 2007 and matched the shingles to the house. We now have leaks in the garage (3 1/2 Years) and the house (9 years). The home builder came back and reworked some of the shingles in 2010 and we developed new leaks above the area he reworked just last week.

At first we blamed the home builder, but when the garage started to leak, I started looking on the internet and found all this info about CT's shingle problem.

My CT New Horizon's are failing, they are lifting, the edges starting to curl, our gutters are filled with shingle grain and we have cracks. I can not let any more water enter the home or the grage, I have to now replace both our home and garage roof. I wish someone would start a class action lawsuit about the CT New Horizon (fiberglass) shangle shingles.

• mettalin_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I live in Northern Minnesota and the New Horizon Shingles were installed on the home at the factory 04/2005 and the house was installed on property on 10/06. I'm not a roofer but noticed the shingles didn't look right but now with water/ceiling/wall damage I know that the shingles are SHOT and I find myself on this webpage 3/11/2011. Still trying to learn the difference between "organic," and "fiberglass," I have 8 bundles that were never used and the sku # is 3571690554 (with a tiny 6 in front and a tiny 1 at the end.)
    Can anyone tell me something based on the SKU#? appreciate your assistance, am waiting for a claim form either way. thx.

• dickmar_gctel_net
    12 years ago

Installed on a new house 15 years ago. About 50% of the shingles have curled severly. Do I get any help in replacement?

• djfrankrush_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

There is a class action law suit settlement. I just found out about it. Built the house in 99 and had all of the same problems that have been mentioned here. We have the Horizon Shangles. Blue stuff everywhere. We have gone through at least 6 left over bundles because they keep blowing off. Certainteed did give us some money about 5 years ago to have the shingles sealed down but that really hasn't worked since it wasn't enough to seal the entire roof. Since we built it, we have all of the paper work required and I hope that's enough. It will cost us just over $6,000 to replace the current roof and just over $8,000 if we do a tear off.
    I can tell you that the new roof will not be Certainteed.

I put a link with this post that has all of the lawsuit information and where to email for a form.. Good luck to all!

• keithanklam_Yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I own a rental property that I used to live in. Tore the old roof off down to the trusses, installed ridge vents
    and CT shingles in 1999. The south side is curled and losing granules like crazy. Just wondering if any recourse is still available.

• wpromes_snbsd_com
    12 years ago

How can we make a claim with CertainTeed?

• kristendavid_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

roof is falling apart. live in lakeville mn. we have the hallmark shangle.
    will cost 15,ooo.oo for new roof. shingels have been on ten years and we thought we would get 30 more out of it.

• sminor10607_aim_com
    12 years ago

I hope the newer ones are not having any issues. My roof will be replaced next week due to a tornado came through the area and blew some of my shingles off and the hail damaged the rest. I have talked to several roofers including LOWES and they all use certainteed shingles here in northern GA were i live. I do not like what i have been reading on here. I will be calling the roofer I chose tommorow and asking him if he can use another typ of shingle. I hate hearing all of the issues everyone on here has had but it is a great thing, the internet, because now you can do good research on products versus 20 yrs ago when there was no internet.

• nhall06_netzero_com
    12 years ago

My defective roof was installed 1993 and it was an overlaid roof. Installer said 5/21/11 there is no warranty for me because it was an overlay. Is that true? Does anyone have this same problem?

• bartonlucas_ymail_com
    12 years ago

My house was built in 1997 in Michigan with CertainTeed XT25 Mint Frost 3 tab asphalt shingles. I noticed for years the granules falling off, and just last year noticed the edges were curling up a lot. Now the roof is in really bad shape and must have a tear off before re-shingling. I don't have the receipt and the roofer is deceased. What can I do? Do I contact CertainTeed directly? Is the class action lawsuit still in effect? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sandygulllake_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We live in Northern Minnesota and built our home in 2001. Certainteed Shingles, Driftwood is all I can find at the present time and we are noticing the edges are all curled and many granules in the rain gutters. It was my understanding that we had a 25 year warranty and only 9 1/2 years later they are faulty. Is there still time to file a claim?

• dm1019_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

We live in SE Wisconsin. We built our house in 2000 using Certainteed shingles. They look terrible at this point. I submitted the claim form earlier this month and received the settlement check two weeks later. Not enough to cover the cost of the new shingles, but more than I expected from a class action lawsuit. Go to this website for the claim form and instructions:

http://www.certainteedshinglesettlement.com/

• hilltop_gw
    12 years ago

We built our house in 1996 and used Certainteed shingles. Ours are curling and shedding granules. We submitted the claim form and required shingle in Aug 2010. Sent it return receipt but never got the receipt part back so I contacted the local post office which confirmed that it had been delivered. It took about 6-7 months but one day a check showed up for about $1200. We're replacing with steel shingles this summer. Hoping they last a little longer.

• debelakmary_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

my insurance adjuster was just here my roof is a mess the shingles are all curled up and are crumbeling he can;t help me they are defected shingles they were put on in 1995 i sure want to join this law suite I;m on a fixed income so can;t afford a new roof.

• govikes78_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Our house was built in 2003 with certainteed and we now have a leak in the ceiling from the poor performance of shingles. Anyone got any recommendations?

• avotel_shire_com
    12 years ago

It is my understanding that the certain teed lawsuit is strictly for the organic shingles, correct? I have certain need New Horizon shingles that are NOT organic and are now discontinued....and the problems I'm having are the same as what I've read with the organic. Granules everywhere, blow off with a slight breeze, etc. (roof is only 9 yrs old)
    Will someone please start a classaction lawsuit regarding these shingles?? Any other options I have as a home owner?? I'd love to hear your suggestions and opinions.
    thanks!!!

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Why not starting it up yourself. Hopefully others that have negative experience with new horizons will back you up. There's a reason they are discontinued, but yours should still be warranty backed being only nine years old. We have Grand manors and are doing fine, but Im going to be constantly checking them close throughout because of this thread!

• Trixier23
    12 years ago

Our shingles are only 6 years old as far as we know. We purchased our home 2 years ago and they told us the shingles were 4 years old. There are a few shingles left and I found they are Certain Teed. The south side of the house is horrible!! Now the west side is starting too. They are curling and after a rain we have debris all over the driveway. Since we did not originally purchase the shingles, does anyone know if we can do anything as far turning in any sort of claim?

• cheerpeople
    12 years ago

Just this week we completed our cure for our defective certain teed shingles.
    A steel roof!
    You can see the install pics there too.

• sahoffman2_sio_midco_net
    12 years ago

I have the same problem with my shingles, installed around the year 2001. Curling, cracking, chunks of shingles all over around the house. The (20year) Certainteed shingles are defective, I filed for a claim, and got a few bucks, but it's not near enough to cover the cost of removing the old shingles and replacing them. What a rip-off. Certainteed is liable to all of you! Don't do like I did, and file a small claim with them, hire a lawyer and go for more...they made an inferior product and lied to the public.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks