Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of roofing?

Posted by musicteacher (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 20:44

My asphalt shingle roof will need replacing soon and I would like to consider other types of materials. This house originally had wood shingles, but they are no longer insurable. I live near Dallas and am wondering about the metal roofs or even clay tile. My house is in a neighborhood and looks like all the others, just wanted to give it some personality. I am not ready to get a roofer involved but am wondering about prices. My guess is that everything besides asphalt is too expensive, but would love for one of you to disprove that!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of roofing?

See recent posts about metal vs asphalt shingles. In my neighborhood, there are lots of metal roofs. One has contrasting color metal at the ridges. I like it.

o

Metal roofing may be a bit more expensive initially, but can last much longer than a shingle roof. Other drawbacks are the metal is much noisier and can be severely damaged by hail.

Something you might explore is plastic shingles. They look very much like wood, will last as long or longer than regular shingles and are light weight.

The following is for reference only---it was the first one when I Googled.

Here is a link that might be useful: plastic shingles

o

Asphalt shingles are not damaged by hail?

o

You have to make sure the framing is adequate for clay tile.

It is not a light weight material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here