Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screened in porch is growing something!

Posted by lilyluv (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 20:32

About 5 years ago we added a screened-in porch to our home. The posts holding up the roof (which was tied into the existing roof) were vinyl covered to be "maintenance free". Now every summer we are getting "growths" that are developing in the corners where the screens are connected to the posts. Some of them are round, disk shaped, beige and look mushroom-like and some are brown humps and look like a bug hive/nests, although no bugs are in it. I am suspecting these are wood/tree molds of some sort, but I don't know. What is it and how do I treat it? It is freaking out the grand kids!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screened in porch is growing something!

Need pics

o

Sounds to me as if wood is rotting somewhere as those growths are there because of moisture.
How are the posts set into the ground?
That's where I'd look first.
And how were the posts covered with vinyl? That seems another area ripe for trapped moisture.
You need to figure out where moisture is getting at wood and stop it from happening.

o

If you have a wooden porch or fence, the chances of weeds or plants such as vines to flourish and grow on them as well can be high especially if you do not regularly clean this area. As long as the plants or what grows on your porch do not damage it or affect the sturdiness of the structure, consider it as one of the unique features of your home addition.

o

"Maintainence free" vinyl will support the growth of algae, fungus, mushrooms and other flora. Cleaning with a 10% bleach solution after removing whatever growth you can by hand is the only real approach. It will be ongoing, especially in warm, wet summers such as much of the country experienced this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here