Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomaskuhn

Drywall compound or thinset

thomaskuhn
12 years ago

I have a few other posts in the fireplace and remodel forums related to this project in general, but I have a really specific question. I am replacing the tile around the fireplace. I removed the drywall and tile and have and put up concrete board, sealed it to the fireplace and am good to go. The only thing is that the CBU is about 3/16" max recessed from flush from the original drywall. What should I use to fill in the difference before re-tiling, thinset/mortar or just a few coats of drywall compound and primer?

Comments (7)

• User
    12 years ago

Thinset. Depending upon how thick your tile is and the end result you want, you may not need to fill that space at all - you could end up with tile that is nearly flush and no worrying about edges.

• thomaskuhn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The tile I am using can be seen on the bottom of the first photo. It is a "stacked Stone" sheet of tile. Very flexible.

• User
    12 years ago

It depends on how far the "build-out" will be. If the layer of wet thinset gets too thick, it could slump and make it difficult to keep the tile where you want it until it sets enough to hold it. It might work just fine.

• thomaskuhn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...!!!

Well, let me tell you... That sucked...

I went for just filling in the space, and tiling later. Well, I made a complete mess. Thinset everywhere, sticking to the trowels, glops all over. I did not have a screed big enough to try and get everything perfect. I ended up switching to a drywall knife and bucket because i can not use a float. I had thinset all over me, not to mention all over my feet! Good thing I put down paper (The only time it did me any good) Thinset sliding down the wall, I am flailing, and then...

I stepped on the edge (no Shoes on) of the drywall bin and sliced the side of my heal open! Blood everywhere! I tear off two pieces of paper floor covering and use them as "shoes" to get to the shower to wash my bloody thinset feet. I shuffled, cleaned up, and sitting on the floor of the bathroom, trying to get a bandaid on... The wife comes home.

There are some minor "bumps" I have no idea how people can get this stuff smooth. It "Sticks" to everything. I misted water on the surface to help work it, but drywall compound is SOOOO much easier. I might try a smooth it out a little more in a bit.

Well, here is the still wet mess.

• don92
    12 years ago

Why did you thin-set the entire front? You could have easily tapered 3/16" like someone said or pulled the cement board off and shimmed with roof shingles or something........anything. Lot of useless work and grief for nothing. Ask someone who knows something before you cause yourself more needless work and trips to the hospital.

• homebound
    12 years ago

This reads like a Dave Barry column. Crazy story. Reminds me of a neighbor that was partying and installed some sheets of glass mosaic tile for a kitchen backsplash. A week later they called me to ask "if I could help install all the edges, borders, etc."

If you decide to rip out to start over, nail some spacers to the studs before you install the durock. And check that everything is in the same plane with a level or straight piece of wood or something. (Shoes are a good idea, too!)