Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echooooo_gw

New to board - please help

echooooo
14 years ago

My home is 6 years old, purchase June 2003. Today we were tearing out the carpet and foam padding in the back bedroom and the slab has BIG cracks running from all directions all the way through the room and undoubtedly into the other rooms as well.

The home came with a 10 year structural warranty. Should something like this be covered? I just need to know something before I call them tomorrow. I am a single woman and am not real handy around the house.

Thank you for your input.

Comments (4)

• blindstar
    14 years ago

I have been told that there are only two kinds of concrete slabs; those with cracks and those that are going to crack. That being said, if the slab is not level across the crack that could indicate settling due to an improperly prepared base. If that is the case I would have an engineer look at it.

If the slab is level then the crack is probably caused by expansion. The question is how big is BIG. Hair line cracks are to be expected gapping chasms are not. There are ways to control expansion cracking; reinforcing the slab, cold joints, expansion joints and cuts to get it to crack where it will cause the least problem.

• echooooo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you blindstar. Well I can put a dime in it and the crack grips the dime -- so I don't think that is a hairline do you?

I just don't want to get 5 more years down the road and be told I "should have" done something about it when I first noticed it. I don't know. I really hope it is nothing and I can go ahead and put a new floor down as I intended. I live in Orlando and it is mostly sand here so it would stand to reason that the slab would settle, I am just so darned naive.

• handymac
    14 years ago

The best action is to notify whomever is carrying the responsibility for the warranty. They should send out a representative and make a determination. If you have any doubts, call a reputable home inspector---preferrably an independent company/person who is not affiliated with a realty company for a second opinion.

The important thing is to make sure the crack does not allow moisture from underneath. Actually a crack as wide as a dime---as long as it is not completely through the slab, can be allowable.

If the slab has moved, you will see cracks in the walls/ceiling drywall, or in the brick exterior(for brick construction). If there are no cracks, chances are the slab crack is not a structural problem.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

I have been told that there are only two kinds of concrete slabs; those with cracks and those that are going to crack.

Yup. Those grooves in sidewalks and driveways aren't there to prevent cracks but rather control them.