Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I fixed my Wheaton frosted glass cat!

Posted by arnettamae (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 20:07

I wish I had taken before pictures. There was a big scratch across the middle of this sleeping cat's back and a very noticeable somewhat circular scratch on his hip. The scratches looked like lines of silver paint but I assumed they must be scratches because they didn't want to come off by any conventional method. I found an Internet site (http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass notes/clean2.htm) that mentioned toothpaste & wet/dry fine sandpaper. Specifically it advised:

Select a paper of similar coarseness to the surface on which you are working (too coarse and you risk leaving obvious scratches - too fine and the area will end up appearing more polished than the rest). Using a small circular motion, begin on the smear itself, and then gradually work outward with ever-decreasing pressure so that your repair blends in with the rest of the surface."

I used the "tools" I had on hand. Norton wet/dry sand paper 320 grit, Closys toothpaste (the brand I use with no sulphates), a spray bottle of water, and a washcloth to dry the object. I worked slowly and carefully as described and checked after each light pass over the damaged area by spraying the area and wiping it dry to make sure that the repair was blending in with the surrounding area. You see the unretouched results in this photos. My once damaged cat is PURRRFECT!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I fixed my Wheaton frosted glass cat!

It looks great! Glad it worked for you! Love the cat!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here