Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What access is needed to estimate repairs to a roof leak?

Posted by colorcrazy (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 18:53

We have a small leak in the roof, and the repair people are coming Monday to take a look/give us an estimate. Our house is 76 yo and on the second floor has kneehole walls with a sloping ceiling. The ceiling is fully insulated, and in the crawl space, where there is no drywall, I saw discoloration on the brown insulation paper, and a few folders that were left on the floor right under that insulation show evidence of water, although nothing is wet.

My question is: will the roofers need to see the inside of the attic crawl space (where we see evidence of water)? Will they need to see other parts of the roof from the inside? If so, I will ask my husband to move everything tomorrow, as I would not be able to do it.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What access is needed to estimate repairs to a roof leak?

Yes they'll need inside the attic. No, don't remove anything. The positioning of the damaged items is a clue as to where the leak originates.

o
fixed!!!! re: what access is needed to estimate repairs to a roo

The roofing guy came today. He looked at the inside, under the eaves, where the leak was. Then he used a ladder to climb onto the roof. In 15 minutes, it was fixed! A roofing nail had worked its way out and was poking up the shingles. He said my 20 yo shingles look good. The guy wouldn't accept payment. I did persuade him to accept a glass of cold water. I am so relieved!

o
RE: What access is needed to estimate repairs to a roof leak?

colorcrazy:

Oh, he accepted payment alright, it just wasn't in money. He recruited a salesperson who just told hundreds of folks online how great he is. I'm sure one of your neighbors is going to need a roof or repair some day and so is he.

The last paragraph of this column addresses this:

Here is a link that might be useful: $150.00 Faucet Hole

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here