Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_g_web

Should this be caulked?

bill_g_web
11 years ago

Just put up some new exterior corner trim, 3 1/2" wide. I don't know if the building paper in intact or how it was installed way back in '47. I'm thinking I might not caulk but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (9)

• handymac
    11 years ago

I would, using paintable caulk. And then paint---because the caulk may mold/mildew otherwise.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

What function will the caulk perform?

• bill_g_web
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking the caulk would keep water from entering the house at the corners where the siding boards come together. I read that a on a properly wrapped house, the wrap would serve this purpose and caulk would only serve to keep water in, which I suppose assumes water WILL inevitably get in due to poor maintenance. I'm pretty sure that the building paper on my old house isn't functioning that well, so caulking might be a good idea, as long as I keep it maintained and painted.

BTW, all the boards at issue, siding and trim, have been primed and painted, including all end cuts, if that makes any difference.

Bill

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I would not caulk that. There is 3 1/2" of coverage before water could enter to framing. So IOW there is zero risk of water entering and damaging the house. However, if caulked, you have created a perfect 3 1/2" water trap for any that did enter.
    The risk outweighs the reward.
    Casey

• bill_g_web
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, sombreuil, that makes sense too. (I've just started learning some French and that word is a pronunciation challenge.) Once caulked, it's done, so I'll not caulk and pull up some trim this winter to check how it's going. The old trim wasn't caulked but for one corner and when I tore it all off, the caulked corner seemed a bit moist and this is months since the last rain. Admittedly, I hadn't properly maintained the caulk.

Thanks everyone,
    Bill

• sdello
    11 years ago

"when I tore it all off, the caulked corner seemed a bit moist and this is months since the last rain." This pretty much demonstrates what sombreuilm was saying.

I agree that no caulk is the best approach.

• bill_g_web
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To clarify, what the no-caulk camp is saying is that it's impossible to keep water out of this joint, even if it's maintained yearly? Or is the suggestion not to caulk based on the assumption the joint will NOT be maintained. Or maybe the moisture behind the trim is coming from inside the house? Additional varibles, I suppose, would include climate, insulation and condition of building wrap. A corner would be just wood, no insulation, so I'm not sure how that would effect moisture buildup from inside the house. Just curious as I'm now convinced not to caulk.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

All caulk will do is trap water longer letting rot start sooner.

Leave it alone

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living