Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sliding Window Removal Help

Posted by happs (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 17:15

I have a 24"x58" sliding single pane glass aluminum window that has a small crack in it that I would like to replace. If I can remove the window and take it to the glass shop, it will be $100 less than having them drive 1 mile to my house to replace the glass in the window. The window is very difficult to remove because the house has settled after 40 years and some parts of the window area are lower than other (if you look at it from a distance, it has a bow shape), so the part that is down or lower won't cause the window to come out. I can get the window about 2/3 of the way out. I don't want to force it any more because I fear the frame and rollers break. Is there a trick or method for removing a window in this situation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sliding Window Removal Help

HI If one end clears the track then file or cut a notch in the track where the other wheel is then remove the window.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o
RE: Sliding Window Removal Help

Look for notches in the track.

You have to file your own the first time you need a window out.

Try and avoid a notch that is when the window is fully closed.

Usually you can do it a few inches from fully closed and pivot the pane out (you may also need to notch the top and bottom).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here