Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace a section of chain link fence?

Posted by eyedoc_01 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 17:11

Hi all,

First time poster, be gentle...

The previous owners of our house backed into the chain link fence along the driveway, damaging about 20-25'. It still works well enough to keep the dog in, but it's ugly. I also want to try to espalier an apple tree there and want the fence fixed before I start tying wires to it.

It's 4' fence, the posts are about 10' apart. The posts and the top rail are in fine shape, by the way.

How can I remove 20-30' of fence and replace it? I got quoted around $300 to do it, and it seems that it shouldn't be that difficult.

Any btdt advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace a section of chain link fence?

With the rails and posts in good shape, it's a realtively easy job to remove and replace a section, as long as the new section has the same link dimensions.
If you study the construction of the link mesh, you will see it is constructed of interconnected, flattened spirals that run top to bottom. After releasing the wire ties holding the chain link mesh to the rails and posts, at one end of the damaged section, release one spiral at the top and bottom from the adjoining ones (where they are twisted together) and 'unscrew' it. (You'll need to pull some slack into the section where you are performing this.)
Repeat at the other end of the damaged section, replace with new chain link mesh and reverse the above procedure for installation.
There may be DIY books at your library that explain this better than I, and with pictures, too.
BTW, I have a make-do method of pulling slack into a fence with S-hooks and rope. Your local rental center may have a hook, rope and pulley devise designed for the purpose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here