Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bibbo_gw

bad drywall leads to bad mudding

bibbo
16 years ago

Need help.

So after knocking down a wall, reframing it, and then putting drywall up I have found out that my joints did not match.

This is my first time at this, and mudding is an art form and I am not good.

So now I have a dip from the old plaster to the new dry wall of about 1/4 inch.

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE THIS WHOLE SECTION SMOOTH.

Do I have to keep on back filling till one side is as high as the other? My mud was too thick before and I was going to thin it out to get the consistency of pudding I am told.

TO FIX THIS DEPRESSION IS IT BETTER TO HAVE THICK OR THIN MUD?

thanks

jack

Comments (7)

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

Use setting type joint compound (Easysand) and mix it about as thick as peanut butter.
    Pre-mix mud hardens by drying and has significant shrinkage.
    Setting compounds harden by chemical reaction, and if mixed thick will have minimal shrinkage even if applied in thick layers.

• bibbo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Use setting type joint compound (Easysand)"

Is there a brand I should look for? Or anything I should look for to know that I have the right stuff.

So if I understand correctly, I should fill the "dip " with "setting type joint compound" because it will not shrink. Then go over it all with a thin coat of pre-mix.

What is the dry time of the "setting type joint compound"

sorry for my ignorance. I'm learning.

jack

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

Easysand is one brand of setting compound.
    It is available in a number of set times, indicated on the bag by the umber following the name.
    Easysand20, Easysand45, etc.
    The number is the approximate setting time in minutes, but like any plaster product is is only a rough guide.
    GO for the largest number you can find (often 90, but longer is made).

You can top with premix or more setting compound.
    I never use premix for anything any more.
    You can put another layer on the setting compound as soon as ot has hardened. It does not need to dry, just set.

• rjoh878646
    16 years ago

setting type drywall compound comes in bags pictured in the link below.

Home depot sells a 210 min working time type.

remember to completly remove all residue of setting type compound from your tools,bucket etc... when finished, As the residue will cause the next batch to harden very quickly when you mix it up.

Here is a link that might be useful: setting type compound

• hendricus
    16 years ago

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE THIS WHOLE SECTION SMOOTH.

Get 3 taping knives, 4", 8" and 12". First time use 4", 2nd use 8" and last use 12", knock off hard pieces in between and sand the last one lightly. You'll never find that 1/4" spreading it out 12".

• drywall_diy_guy
    16 years ago

If you have not taped and mudded yet, the best way to remedy this is to remove your sheet at the joint (assuming screws were used) and attach shimming material at the joint to make the surfaces level. Also place about 1/2 the shimming material one stud back from the joint so as to make the curve gradual and not noticeable.

Then tape and mud as usual. Go to the site below for tips on finishing the taped joints.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drywall Taping Tutorial

• carguy887
    14 years ago

Has anyone ever had trouble getting their easysand to set up? Sunday afternoon I used some to skimcoat over some plaster repair and it never set up, just became crumbly. I followed all directions to the T.
    Thanx for any help,
    Bill W.