Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lightweight circular saw for a woman?

Posted by toadangel (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 08 at 15:46

hi all - haven't posted here before (usually over in baths) but i am looking for a very lightweight (like under 7 pounds) circular saw and hoping for one that is not as intimidating to me as those "regular" circular saws are. i just envision myself dropping the saw & slicing my toe off. i need it for very casual use cutting regular 2x4 & plywood types of things.

I have worked with a miter saw & a tile saw with success, but those stay where they are, so no problem there.

I have also worked with a Milwaukee jig saw that we guess weighs about 5 pounds. i wouldn't want one much heavier, but can handle that since it is resting on the material most of the time.

i saw a different kind of circular saw on one of the hgtv shows that of course i can't remember now... they said it was a nice choice for women since it is smaller & more shielded... anyone know what I'm talking about? or have other suggestions?

thanks,
lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lightweight circular saw for a woman?

Have you asked e.g. Home Depot about different saws and why certain ones would be good for you, and why others wouldn't? Size or weight alone might not always either do a good job or be safe.

o

I think you may be out of luck, even some of the lightest, runs about 9 lb.
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-345-Boss-6-Inch-Circular/dp/B00002269C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1218759539&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW368K-4-Inch-Lightweight-Circular/dp/B000068870/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1218760142&sr=1-1

even the plastic and magnesium
http://www.amazon.com/GMC-CS10UL-7-1-Inch-Circular/dp/B00196P5EK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1218760218&sr=1-7

Cordless is also ruled out.

o

This is the one I'm going to get. Only 6.5 lbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5.5 inch SkilSaw

o

I've found the cordless 14.4v Dewalt to be a good lightweight option. I've used it to cut 2x4's but that is about the max depth it should be used for. Works great on things like plywood sheets, since you don't have to worry about dangling cords.

KT

Here is a link that might be useful: Dewalt 14.4V Cordless Trim Saw Kit

o

When the saw kick back in use the weight becomes your friend.
It is resting on the board when in use, so the weight should not be that big an issue.

o

ci-lantro,
I have one of those saws, since 1990. It is the sears craftsman version, same saw, though. Blades for it are darned near unavailable; I order them online in a three-pack. A 24-tooth blade on that saw is the equivalent of about a 36-tooth blade on a 7.25" saw. I use it for plywood, light work. It will not cut a 2x4 at 45* however, so it's not a substitute for a fullsize saw. It's left-handed BTW, which I prefer. My other skilsaw is a Porter-Cable "framesaw". My third skilsaw is a wormdrive- it was stolen in 1995 and never replaced ;-)

Casey

o

The saw won't weigh any more than a 6-pack of beer.
Buy the beer, invite a male over and he will make all the cuts for you

o

thanks for the responses, guys. i hadn't seen that skil saw - i may check that out but be sure to check for blades too.
the dewalt may work well, also. i did see "trim" saws but didn't see any that cut 2x4's like that one would.

i read that when the blade is on the left then, although you do get the benefit of seeing the line better, the saw doesn't have the support of the non-waste piece after you're done with the cut, so you have to be sure you have the full weight of the saw under control as you finish. it seems to be the "in" type of design, though, so it may be difficult to find a lightweight one with the blade on the right. have any of you noticed that issue?

bobs - i also started by looking at the corded ones, since they don't have heavy batteries, but i think the corded ones are more powerful, which ends up being more weight.

i found a few cordless ones that may work, and hopefully with these suggestions i will find one that may fit the bill. i trust this site much more than the sales guys at the local HD :)

and i guess if i can't find one, there is always the 6-pack suggestion :)

thanks all.
lisa

o

Get yourself a Skil 77 and use it for a few weeks cutting rafters. After wrestling with that side-winder (14.9 Pounds), everything else will seem light :-)

I am right-handed but personally prefer a blade-left saw as it allows me to see the cut without having to lean over the saw. It probably means more sawdust shooting my way. I think it's a personal preference, though. Most sidewinders are left-bladed and most of the rest are right-bladed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skil 77

o

"i read that when the blade is on the left then, although you do get the benefit of seeing the line better, the saw doesn't have the support of the non-waste piece after you're done with the cut, so you have to be sure you have the full weight of the saw under control as you finish. it seems to be the "in" type of design, though, so it may be difficult to find a lightweight one with the blade on the right. have any of you noticed that issue?"

Cut from the other side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here