Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
someone help me with attic fan?

Posted by kimberly82 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 15:37

Can someone help me on attic fans?
I know this is heat and air forum, but i didnt find a place for attic fans.
Okay my mom calls me at work, loud screeching coming from attic. the neighbor came out because she also heard it.
So i go home to check and it stops before i get there,
i call my dad and he said it might be attic fan so he comes over and disconnects it but at that time the fan is running and no noise, maybe it had noise trying to start? but its not making it now.
So does anyone think this noise is coming from that? is it a belt? or bearing?
okay i just brought the house- I have home warranty-they cover attic fans, but not belts. so do you think its the belt or is the fan going? because i dont want to spend $100 for home warranty contractor to come out and tell me the belt is not covered. and lose $100 where i can get someone to replace it myself.
Any thoughts to what it is?

any help is appreciated. first time homeowner.

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: someone help me with attic fan?

Tough call. I'd send someone up with some belt dressing (automotive store) to check the tension on the belt and inspect for fur, feathers or other debris that may have gotten caught between the blades and the shroud and see if it happens again.

o
RE: someone help me with attic fan?

There is absolutely no way anyone can actually diagnose this problem over the internet.

You need to find a competent handyman or HVAC repairman and have them actually test the fan and look at the belt(s).

It could be literally one of a dozen possible problems. Loose belt, case hardened belt surface, deteriorated belt, dry bearings(there may be three), trash blown in and causing belt slippage, motor problem, fan blade problem, shutter problem(if installed), voltage problem, or a critter stuck when the fan started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here