Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sanity check on gutter pricing

Posted by dbeau (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 15:36

I need to have my gutters replaced. A quick web search led me to believe that $10/ft installed would be on the high side. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $30/ft for 150ft of "Alcoa 320". This included a wopping $2500 for labor. How many people does it take to install this stuff anyways? Note that no prep work is needed here. All the rotted fascia board was recently replaced and the existing gutters have already been removed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sanity check on gutter pricing

Multiple bids are your friend.
Ron

o

'Round here $7-$9 bucks per linear foot remains the norm for seamless aluminum gutters manufactured and installed on site for a 2 man crew in and out for the entire house in 3 hours or less.

Where do you live?
How big is the house?
Are there any special considerations like:
---The eaves are 80 feet high?
---It's for a house in Beverly Hills?
---The job is 100 miles outside the contractor's normal operating range?

o

No 80ft eaves, not in Beverly Hills, and not more than 10 miles from the contractors base. He did make a big deal out of the materials. It's not seamless as in made on the truck, but seamless as in none of our runs are more than the 35ft that the factory made pieces come in. The house is in the Portsmouth NH area.

So time for more quotes.

What's with these people? If he didnt want the job, why even take the time out to quote it?

o

I'm unfamiliar with what "Alcoa 320" is

for normal seamless aluminum gutters and downspouts I paid
$3 per LF cash on a small cape cod style house in NY(Long Island), made on sight.

this is without gutter guards or anything like that. Price was the same for the downspout and gutter.

o

"He did make a big deal out of the materials. It's not seamless as in made on the truck, but seamless as in none of our runs are more than the 35ft that the factory made pieces come in. The house is in the Portsmouth NH area. "

You're right.
Time for more pricing.

And a new contractor.

This guy is a gypsy who wants to buy pre-made 35 foot sections and is not equipped to make his own seamless gutters in whatever length he desires.

o

H dbeau -

I see it's been a few years since this thread was active, but I just had to ask - who was the contractor you received that outrageous quote from? I have a sinking feeling that it's the contractor we might have gone with many years ago. We live in Durham.

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here