Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbeau_gw

sanity check on gutter pricing

dbeau
14 years ago

I need to have my gutters replaced. A quick web search led me to believe that $10/ft installed would be on the high side. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $30/ft for 150ft of "Alcoa 320". This included a wopping $2500 for labor. How many people does it take to install this stuff anyways? Note that no prep work is needed here. All the rotted fascia board was recently replaced and the existing gutters have already been removed.

Comments (6)

• ron6519
    14 years ago

Multiple bids are your friend.
    Ron

• manhattan42
    14 years ago

'Round here $7-$9 bucks per linear foot remains the norm for seamless aluminum gutters manufactured and installed on site for a 2 man crew in and out for the entire house in 3 hours or less.

Where do you live?
    How big is the house?
    Are there any special considerations like:
    ---The eaves are 80 feet high?
    ---It's for a house in Beverly Hills?
    ---The job is 100 miles outside the contractor's normal operating range?

• dbeau
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No 80ft eaves, not in Beverly Hills, and not more than 10 miles from the contractors base. He did make a big deal out of the materials. It's not seamless as in made on the truck, but seamless as in none of our runs are more than the 35ft that the factory made pieces come in. The house is in the Portsmouth NH area.

So time for more quotes.

What's with these people? If he didnt want the job, why even take the time out to quote it?

• chrisk327
    14 years ago

I'm unfamiliar with what "Alcoa 320" is

for normal seamless aluminum gutters and downspouts I paid
    $3 per LF cash on a small cape cod style house in NY(Long Island), made on sight.

this is without gutter guards or anything like that. Price was the same for the downspout and gutter.

• manhattan42
    14 years ago

"He did make a big deal out of the materials. It's not seamless as in made on the truck, but seamless as in none of our runs are more than the 35ft that the factory made pieces come in. The house is in the Portsmouth NH area. "

You're right.
    Time for more pricing.

And a new contractor.

This guy is a gypsy who wants to buy pre-made 35 foot sections and is not equipped to make his own seamless gutters in whatever length he desires.

• jennyology
    12 years ago

H dbeau -

I see it's been a few years since this thread was active, but I just had to ask - who was the contractor you received that outrageous quote from? I have a sinking feeling that it's the contractor we might have gone with many years ago. We live in Durham.

Jen