Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyvixen84

Roofing- Metal or Shingles?

ladyvixen84
12 years ago

I have to have the roofing done on a house if I am to purchase it...which I am more than likely going to. I know one part of the roof needs new wood on the roof(what the shingles sit on) but most of it is just replacing the shingles.

I am wondering if it would be cheaper now and in the long run to do metal panels instead of shingles.

So my questions would be

1. Lifetime- comparison of the 2, which lasts longer

2. Price- (lowes has panels for $16.00 compared to $30.00 for shingles)

3. Weathering- How will in comparison the metal hold up to high winds, and hail? Will it cause the house to heat up dramatically in the summer?

4. Ease of installation- Which is easier and cheaper for the roofers to install?

5. Does roof pitch or angles make a difference when using metal panels?

6. Leaks- Is there more or less of a chance of roof leaking with metal panels?

Also, the home has vinyl siding, do we have to add any type of flashing if we are using metal panels?

Comments (20)

• ladyvixen84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would like to do the metal roofing, just because I like the look in all honesty lol, but im working on a budget and most stuff my husband and I are DIY style on the things that dont need a scientists help to complete. Im wondering if the shingle style metal roofing would cost more than the panels? We are looking at home depot and lowes for our roofing supplies.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

The only metal panels that I'm aware of from lowes and h.d. are corrugated panels. Unless you have experience installing those, I dont see putting them on your house. They are okay for outbuildings such as horse stalls, sheds, carports,etc, but are prone to leaking if not installed correctly and the gasketed fasteners need attention every now and then as the gasket deteriorates or the fasteners loosen. A standing seam metal roof for your home is going to be more pricy than a decent grade shingle roof but you will get more life out of the metal roof than shingles. To get an idea of cost differences, get estimates both ways from roofing contractors in your area. The fact that you have to ask about flashings and whether they are needed speaks out loud that you should either research on install applications whatever material type you decide on or simply leave it to a reputable roofing pro who warranties their work. Personally I would not buy any roofing material from a big box store.

• ladyvixen84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sierraeast- I definitely wont be on top of my house anytime soon lol. I have no idea how to do roofing...which is why my husband will be the one doing it. He may know all the answers, but getting opinions from others, and asking questions will only further MY knowledge on things that are needed to be done. That way, my husband doesn't have to worry about a nail from a nail gun going through his finger asking me to get something for him, while I stare at him puzzled.

I called a very reputable roofer to get an estimate on the job, and he was the one who said that his company purchases the 25yr warrantied shingles from lowes. If thats the case, why not save on labor costs since my husband has experience?

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

Metal roof should be better than shingles in every way you mention except price. Hail will kill shingles. It can dent metal, but it won't cause it to fail except for appearance. You can do lower pitch with metal than with shingles. The heat thing is complicated. A simple metal roof will reflect more heat than shingles, but will retain it more as well. You can install a cool metal roof (best is with a white finish). It will keep the house very much cooler than shingles. There is lots of info available on the web about cool roofs. Try the US DOE and here:

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/coolroof/links.html

There are different types of metal roofs available. The main divisions are often called R-panel and standing-seam. The R-panels are fastened from the top with screws with gaskets. Eventually the seals degrade, leak and the screws pull out. The screws can be replaced after a decade or two. Standing-seam does not have that problem.

Get some estimates, lots of them. I think that you will find that metal costs about twice as much. Cool roofs cost a bit more.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    12 years ago

I had an exposed fastener metal roof installed on my home just this past summer- it cost no more than 25% above what a good quality asphalt shingle roof would have cost me. Standing seam would have been double but no way did my home justify that much as I would have liked it.

Having just spent several days watching the guys install it I would certainly say that no way should a layperson attempt this. The flashings are so complicated, the tools so specialized, the surface so slick, and the panels so huge that you are just asking for trouble.
    Much of the warranty is dependent on installation.
    There is so much info online- get busy googling and educate yourself.

I love my roof.
    It has enhanced my home and more importantly it is the last roof I will ever have to buy.
    Get lots of estimates, go and look at the roofs they have done, and choose wisely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a good place to start research

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    12 years ago

Here's another good resource

Here is a link that might be useful: metal roofing

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

1. Steel is much, much, longer

2. Steel will be more expensive, how much depends on the contractor. Our steel prices are about 2X what our asphalt prices are but when you figure they last more than 2X as long, it is a wise investment.

3. Much better for steel. Many steel roof are certified for Miami Dade restrictions. Asphalt shingles will never do that. Plenty of steel roof are certified and warrantied for sustained winds in excess of 120mph. Asphalt is only rated for gusts.

4. Asphalt is much easier in that it does not require much skill or specialized tools.

5. Yes and know. Some systems require a minimum slope and others can be run on flat roof applications. Depends on the panel/system.

6. No. Even less because most metal systems don't rely on sealants to make their water tight seal whereas asphalt is relying on its adhesion to the course of shingles below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good source of Q&A on metal roofs

• gwilson2
    12 years ago

Go with metal, but do not get it at lowes or hd. Go with 26 gauge not 29. Some say the cost is a little more. I found it to be the same price if you do the labor yourself.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Asphalt shingles are a "get you through X years" type of roof. In a mild climate with no hail or storm damage, X years can be 20-30 years. Architectural shingles can add 10 years to X. Shingles are relatively low cost DIY project and can be done fairly quickly with some friends and a roofing nailer.

Metal is "I'm staying in this house for long term and don't want to do this again" type of roof. It can easily last you 50 years if you choose standing seam. Standing seam isn't a DIY job though. You need an experienced pro with the right tools. Exposed fastener metal can be a DIY if the roof is simple like a ranch, but you're not talking the barn roofing you find at a box store. That's thin, and won't last that long before leaking. You can find a local supplier of exposed fastener to custom create panels that won't need any lap seams. It's about double the price of shingles, but it goes up quicker because you're dealing with covering large expanses at once. The biggest drawback to exposed fastener is the fasteners. They will degrade over time and need to be replaced. That's not something folks in their 60's want to be doing with a "lifetime" roof, so pricing it will need to be factored into the overall pricing.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

That is a very good point to figure replacing fasteners into the price.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Just to inform, this is a very old thread, unfortunately Lazypup passed away a couple years ago.

• southerncanuck
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My brother has a metal roof. The guest bedroom is on the second floor with a vaulted ceiling. I do not sleep when I am a guest there. Sound of rain on "some" metal roofs are torturous to my ears. Something not mentioned here is the sound, the sales guy that pitched me said with his roofs sound is not a problem, he wouldn't put into the contract that I would get a 50% rebate if the sound of rain could be heard within the home. Maybe my brother doesn't want overnight guests.

It's an old thread but added that if someone is using this for research.

• live_wire_oak
    8 years ago

The sound transmission into the dwelling has much more to do with the attic insulation level than type of roof. If you can hear the rain on a metal roof, and it's not a complete deluge outside, then you have insufficient insulation.

• Erica Padmore
    8 years ago

My house has a metal roof and in my opinion it`s a great option I am glad about making that choice.
    Erica Padmore

• ionized_gw
    8 years ago

Erica, what makes you glad about your metal roof, appearance, energy efficiency,...?

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Makes it easier for her to clean her carpets, lol......

• Erica Padmore
    8 years ago

A metal roof system is an energy efficient because it reflects solar heat and can cut back on cooling costs immensely. You can also rest assured knowing that metal roofing will not go up into flames in the event of a lightening strike.
    Erica Padmore

• ionized_gw
    8 years ago

Not any metal roof is energy efficient. It has to have a special coating. Cool metal roofs do make for cooler spaces underneath, but even the best ones cool off slower than conventional roofs. They balance that with much higher reflectivity. The coating increases costs. Good information can be had at the Florida Solar Energy Center, a research unit of The University of Central Florida.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

And if you click her name she is spamming a carpet cleaning service in the UK so take her recommendations for what they are worth..........