Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surfer_gw

Suggestions for fascia material

surfer
11 years ago

I'm looking for a low maintenance material that could be used as a 12" by 16 foot fascia on a gable end considering the dark brown color rules out PVC material like Aztek. Actually I have two gable ends, one east and one west.

My current fascia material uses two painted "one by" 16 foot wood boards on each side. It faces mostly west. The top board is about a 1 by 5" and the lower is a 1 by 8. The total finished width of the two boards side by side is about 12 1/2". I could probably get by with 12" width. The current arrangement requires regular maintenance and painting. The wood seam between the two boards is caulked but it still eventually allows water to get behind the fascia.

I considered wrapping with aluminum but the width and dark brown color facing west would probably cause some waviness. Also the 16 ft aluminum would still be pieced and overlapped.

Another consideration is using smooth finish 12" by 12 ft fiber cement. It would require piecing too to cover the 16 foot length, and the required butt joint cuts would be at 45 degrees bevel and the pieces cemented with the long side facing down. Thanks for any suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)