Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did your galvanized/zinc roof moss strip kill plants?

Posted by sairy_gamp (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 14:30

Hi all,
I'm considering installing a zinc or galvanized strip on my roof peak to control moss on the asphalt shingles.

I am concerned the runoff will kill plant leaves under the roof dripline.

Any experience with using moss strips safely?

(I have used potassium salts previously, and the runoff killed vegetation within days. I want to be sure metal strips won't cause a chronic problem like this.)

Thanks a bunch for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did your galvanized/zinc roof moss strip kill plants?

Potassium salts are fertilizer. What did you use? I don't understand how it would hurt plants unless you applied more than you could carry up to the roof. I don't understand how it could hurt the moss either.

Zinc is a lot less soluble than potassium. It will be in an oxidized form unless in a highly acidic environment.

o

Hi-

It's this stuff, and it killed broadleaf leaves and fern leaves under the dripline. Left big brown spots. (In fact since that experience, I got their "weed killer" which is more or less the same thing, and it works sort of like Roundup on my walkway.) Works great on the roof moss too...

http://www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/5324

Thanks for advice...

o

That's soap. The potassium counter ion is kind of incidental. Zinc strips are not going to work fast if you have a lot of growth up there. The moss will soak up the zinc proportional to the mass and the release rate from the strips is very slow. If they were my shingles, I would first kill the moss with bleach and TSP (or TSP substitute if you can not buy TSP in your area). Just wet down anything else, including beneficial plants and the ground, that will be exposed before and after use. After that, install the strips.

There are spray-on zinc products that could be used in conjunction with the strips to jump start that process. I can't comment its effects on plants on the ground. I have never done any damage to plants on the ground with bleach and TSP if well watered before and after.

o

thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here