Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taking Change table apart?

Posted by djf863000 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 14:25

I want to paint each shelves of the change table to cover the water stains. There are 6 screws on each sides, which i removed, but still can't get this table apart. I wonder if there is glue or something. I only have a metal hammer, so I don't want to damage anything. I tried to hammer with something soft (not directly on furniture) but still can't seem to figure it out how to get this thing apart.
I don't know very much, when it comes to furniture or wood work for that matter.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taking Change table apart?

From the pictures it looks like the white shelf sits a dado (groove) in the rails. Unless you can separate the rails from the uprights, I don't see you getting it apart.

Other than one picture I don't see where you took out the screws. In pictures 5 and 7 there seems to be some kind of cover in the upright, maybe for screws? In some cases this kind of stuff is assembled with a screw and dowel that's glued in (the screw holds things together while the glue sets up). You might be able to beat it apart but if the dowel breaks, you'll need to drill it out to insert a new one.

It might be just easier to mask off the wood and paint the shelves. The other option might be to cover the shelves with something like the stuff they use for cabinet shelves.

o
RE: Taking Change table apart?

When you removed the screws did nyhting becaome loose? If not, then your answer is - the pieces were glued first and then screwed.

I'll second what mike said: it's probably easier to mask of the wood and paint the shelves or just cover the shelves with contact paper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here