Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Fascia splitting off from eaves...how to repair??

sooz
13 years ago

I am so stressed out about this! We have a Marlette manufactured home, a bit south of Ketchum, Idaho. It has HardiPlank siding on it, and it was new in 2003 and built on a foundation. The first owner was the Fire Chief and his family--we're the second owners.

The fascia is starting to come apart up by the eaves! I am so stressed! I called Marlette and they take no responsibility whatsoever for it!

Additionally, the original paint is peeling terribly from the HardiPlank siding. I called them as well, because the paint is supposed to have a 10 or 15 year guarantee. Again, a company that takes no responsibility for this! Apparently the paint adherence is only for original owners!

Can anyone please advise me as to how this fascia problem can be fixed? Do we hire someone in construction or a handyman or what? Any details you could give me would be very helpful, as I sure don't know what to do! We need to get this done before Idaho weather starts changing!

Thank you so much for any help!!!

Sooz

Here's a photo, looking straight up at it:

Here's another photo, sorta straight on:

Comments (6)

• sierraeast
    13 years ago

My brother & sister in law bought a manufactured home that has fiber cement siding, but the facia, window trim, corner trim, door trim,etc is all a fiber board material. I cant tell by the pic what your facia might be, but it doesn't look like you have anything behind it decent enough to fasten it back tight to. I would get an estimate from a local contractor who sets up manufactured homes in your area and get their take on it. I wonder if this is something your homeowners insurance will cover?

• sierraeast
    13 years ago

If this is caused by a roof leak, you'll want to address that first.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Pretty lame drip edge.

It does not appear long enough or steep enough to prevent water from traveling up the underside and running down the fascia, especially with any wind.

• sooz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your input! I'll followup on this immediately!

Smiles,
    Sooz

• totsuka
    13 years ago

Call around and have a carpenter look at it. It's not a huge disaster and some of the problem might just be a poor paint job..no primer or did not wait for the primer to dry etc..fix what is rotten.

• lsst
    13 years ago

Our house was built in 2004.

We have a fiber cement fascia that separates a lower porch from an upper. The fiber cement is attached directly to wood. The upper porch is wood decking.

The paint held up well until this past winter.
    We are in the South East and we had a very wet and cold winter.

We had several snows and for almost a month our daytime temps were at freezing which is almost unheard of around here. LOL

During one snow, I noticed the same problems as you but on a much smaller scale.
    I have the peeling of (Paint?) or is it a thin layer of fiber cement? It looks just like your fiber cement in the left of the picture. It is rippling.

Also, I have the flaking and it looks as if the fiber cement is beginning to separate and break apart.

The only thing I can think is that during freeze thaws water is trapped behind it and causing the fiber cement to break apart.

Did you have any ice sickles or snow hang over your fascia for any length of time causing a moisture problem?

Also, do check for any leaks behind the fiber cement.

Did you have an unusually wet and cold winter?

There is a topic on the Building a Home forum here at GW concerning peeling fiber cement board. You might want to check it out.

Please post if you find out more as I am seeking a solution, too.

HTH