Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chain link fence posts

Posted by ionized (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 14:23

I need to cut 2 or three posts of a chain link fence to get truck access to my yard. The posts are set in a concrete strip under the fence. Is some standard hardware marketed to repair this kind of cut? What I have in mind is a sleeve or an insert that fit some standard size fence posts, but I have never seen any.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chain link fence posts

I'd say you're spot on. I just did that with my neighbour's basketball net, to make it a little more permanent (got rid of the plastic base, set some abs pipe in concrete in the ground, and mounted it like that. Cut them at ground level, find some tubing that fits neatly inside, and use a bolt or get them welded into the upper post.

That'll be kind of handy.

o

Since we cannot see your exact installation, and do not know what equipment you may have, exact advice is difficult to supply. Be advised that the posts are that same outside dimensions as standard water pipes. Corner posts typically the same as 2" IPS and line posts either 1 1/4" IPS (often) or 1 1/2" IPS. Your posts may be thin gauge tubing from rolled strips of 16 gauge. Thin posts cannot be threaded.
Patching the posts will be a weak repair.

At the link, go down the list on the right side and click the links for threadless compression couplings and for setscrew couplings.

Another choice is the coupling for plumbing that is often called a Dresser coupling.
Given the equipment I have available, I would remove the existing posts completely and replace them completely and properly. Your situation may be different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Couplings

o

If OP can find tubing that's a tight internal fit and it goes a reasonable way into the ground, and a reasonable way into the fence post, like a coupling, it won't be a weak point, it'll be the strongest part of the post.

o

Thanks, all good suggestions.

o

"If OP can find tubing that's a tight internal fit and it goes a reasonable way into the ground"

The inside is often filled with at least some concrete if the pipes are set in concrete.

o

Thanks for that warning. I will see if they can can be cut somewhat higher than ground level so a patch can be applied. If the wheel spacing on the truck is right, it should be possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here