Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas on filling or removing an old pipe?

Posted by moltroub (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 14:04

We have an old house built in the 1930's. In doing some regrading, we decided to remove an old 4" cast iron pipe that was used by the previous owner for his washing machine. The pipe ended about where the old in-ground pool had been. ( We had that hexagon good,for nothing thing ripped out several years ago.)

I cut the piece that was going from the foundation wall out to the yard. Went into the cellar and attempted to get the galvanized pipe out but couldn't turn it, even with a cheater bar. Thought I'd take the cold chisel to it with a small 4 lb hammer...didn't even put a dent into the concrete or cement or whatever the heck was used.

Any ideas on how the correct way to plug it up so field mice or snakes can't come in, ever?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas on filling or removing an old pipe?

Hydraulic cement. Put it in both ends---about 2 or 3 inches in.

Swells when it cures.

o

Wad up some expanded metal lath, insert into pipe, hydraulic cement, and before it sets, print "lost dutchmen mine."

o

You can quickly seal a pipe with an adjustable female cap or male plug from a plumbing supply house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here