Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? on hanging things

Posted by Violet.West (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 12:05

Please forgive my ignorance, but I have a question regarding finding where to hang things, such as hooks, and shelf anchors, on my walls (drywalls with studs).

I know that you can use a stud finder to find a stud, but what about not drilling into electrical wire? YouTube videos show people using a tool to find the electrical wires --

Do I need a separate tool for stud finding and electrical wire finding? I don't want to electrocute myself!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? on hanging things

I think it's good to use a stud finder - they aren't very expensive.

Homes are constructed in a way to prevent this.

A 2 x 4 is really 1 1/2 x 3 1/2. When electricians run wires (horizontally) they drill holes in the center of the stud.

So... 3 1/2 divided by 2 = 1 3/4" the wires are supposed to be about 1 1/2" inside the wall. Add another 1/2" for drywall - and your electrical wires will be about 2" from the inside face of your wall.

If you use 1 1/2" screws you should be fine. When drilling, you can put a piece of tape on the drill bit, so you don't drill deeper than 1 1/2".

o

oh, I see, very clever. Yes, I am trying to learn how to use my drill (which has been sitting in a box for a year and a half after I bought it, ha!).

o

In addition, electric lines aren't usually run horizontally through a stud at the height that you'd normally hang pictures or shelves. Typically, wires run along the bottom or top of walls, not the middle.

Of course there's still a chance, but it's not likely.

Some stud finders also detect electricity.

o

When your drill bit breaks through the back of the drywall (or into a hole cut in the stud) you will feel all the resistance disappear. Don't keep pushing the drill past that point. You aren't going to damage wiring or pipes just by touching it.. you would have to continue applying pressure for the drill to do damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here